Sacrament Meeting attendance list

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kgthunder wrote:Would a MLS Custom Report work?
I don't think you have a choice in the format. It will create a list based on the necessary information, but if there's a way to formated as an attendance roll, I've missed that. (Now I think the old MIS would do that.)
jeffszone

Post by jeffszone »

atticusewig wrote:But, since this is a tech list, here are some wildly crazy solutions:
Here's another crazy idea to add. I once heard about some other church that had something like three hundred children attending in its various broken up meeting schedules. Unlike our church they aren't broken up into definable "wards" so families would randomly attend any of the meetings if they sleep in or whatever was most convenient on any given week.

To keep track of which kids showed up, they made some sort of decorative fence around their seating area, with a gate all the children had to walk through to get there. Then they made up some laminated card with each kid's name on it, and came up with some sort of theme so the kids thought these tokens were somehow "cool". These were all hanging on a big board for the kids to go grab theirs and bring it with them into the class. Each one had their picture and something or other on the front, with a bar code on the back. A couple of adult leaders would stand at the gate and scan each kid's pass using a palm pilot with a build in bar code scanner as the kids went into where they would sit during each meeting.

These bar code scans would be downloaded into a database. They'd use it to flag changes in any given family's attendance level -- it would identify which families used to attend weekly that suddenly didn't show up in a few weeks. They'd send out reminder post cards in the mail "We've missed you in church recently...", etc. with some invitation to upcoming events. It would also identify which kids came to which categories of their extra activities and events beyond their regular weekly meetings.

I'm sure the same principal could be applied to adults in a much more obtrusive manner.

-Jeff
thomasjking

counting

Post by thomasjking »

in the old times the clerk took roll sitting on the podium there was a clerks table-------who talked in sac and on fast sunday
as for keeping count of "how Many"---if the unit is trying to get the next phase of building there must so many people at each sac meeting-- there is a number---this count is for three months---if the % is reached then the stake forwards the info to slc and then maybe the next phase will be built on the unit
we have trying for many years to get the last phase
our clerks take count from the back of the chapel---few notice---what with the constant movement of people---babies--bathroom visits-----
there is a count taken in stake conference
for years when i was sitting up on the podium (we) the br pres would see who was out and might need some care---this was informal---but it has worked well
the "count" includes members and non members---please come visit as we need the last phase
mattprasmussen

Post by mattprasmussen »

[font=&quot]While one of our clerks takes a count, what I’m more interested in is “who’s here and who’s not?” I always greet people as they enter the chapel but that doesn’t help track when someone doesn’t come for a couple of weeks. If I don’t know why someone is missing, I’ll ask around and prompt myself or others to check in with the member. It’s also really helpful knowing when less active members haven’t come for six weeks and I can call them and say “I haven’t seen you for six weeks. How is everything?”

I’ve found that the best thing for me is a list of adults I make from the csv export. (We haven’t figured out how to get all adults on the same attendance sheet from MLS.) I make my own attendance sheet for the quarter by sorting by age to get just the adults and then put the dates across the top. I have Excel autoformat the sheet with the “List 1” preference to highlight every other row like MLS does. The only problem I have is that the podium blocks my view from seeing the entire chapel. :)
[/font]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Matt_Rasmussen wrote:The only problem I have is that the podium blocks my view from seeing the entire chapel. :)
[/font]
Some of us use that to full advantage. :D
blackrg

Post by blackrg »

mkmurray wrote:Yes, let me help reiterate that the Church in no way supports nor recommends ANY of these methods.

Thank you for the comic relief, atticusewig :D

BTW, there is no such thing as "the wrong screaming child" being shocked; any such child should be shocked! J/K
My wife was mentioning a dog collar that shocks the dog if it detects barking (noise level). I thought this might be suitably adapted, until I realized that with a crowd of children, one loud one can ruin everyone's day....
blackrg

Post by blackrg »

jeffphil wrote: I'm sure the same principal could be applied to adults in a much more obtrusive manner.
-Jeff
Would never be approved. Someone would want to use the idea to replace the (perceived) need for home teaching.... :p
dwterry-p40

Post by dwterry-p40 »

Try this solution on for size:

1) Click System Options | Members | Custom Fields.
2) Create a separate Custom Field for each Sunday of the month (e.g. 01 Apr 07)
3) Save | Close
4) In the menu bar, click Membership | Custom Reports
5) Add a new Custom Report entitled Sacrament Meeting Attendance
6) Add the new fields from the custom fields you just created
7) Run the report

You now have an attendance roll comprised of everyone in the ward. Want to limit the names listed? Use the criteria options to customize.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

dwterry wrote:Try this solution on for size:

1) Click System Options | Members | Custom Fields.
2) Create a separate Custom Field for each Sunday of the month (e.g. 01 Apr 07)
3) Save | Close
4) In the menu bar, click Membership | Custom Reports
5) Add a new Custom Report entitled Sacrament Meeting Attendance
6) Add the new fields from the custom fields you just created
7) Run the report

You now have an attendance roll comprised of everyone in the ward. Want to limit the names listed? Use the criteria options to customize.
Wow! A real answer!
dwormell-p40

Find out the purpsoe

Post by dwormell-p40 »

If the overall purpose is to know what investigators or what converts are attending church then typically the Ward Missions Leader and Missionaries keep a current tab on who is attending church as would be needed for their reporting to the Stake. (i.e. Member Progress Report) Find out the purpose of what the Stake Presidency is attempting to acomplish and then an understanding of how this can be acomplished will be better understood. I really doubt that your Stake Presidency would ask for an attendance record of such a large magnatude but if he does you can use MLS in two different methods:

1) Print out an additional copy of all attendance rolls and use them for this specific purpose.

2) Create a custom report with your unique paramaters such as a list of names that are over the age of 18.

I wish you well Brother

--Dave Wormell

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”