List of MLS Feature Requests

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
unixguy

Custom report clutter

Post by unixguy »

There are a lot of people able to create custom reports, but no way to identify who created the report (or even what role the creator fills) what user last ran the report, or when the report last ran at all. We all know that sometimes people just don't clean up after themselves (tried to create a report and gave up), or someone created a useful report but named it poorly and didn't enter a description and then was released.

I'd like to have a way to know what reports might just not be getting used anymore, to reduce the clutter. (Or, have a way to "archive" a report so that maybe the definition is still there in case it needs to be recovered?)
mtolman-p40

Web Version of MLS

Post by mtolman-p40 »

What is the current status of the Web version of MLS ? Many years ago, our stake (Greenville, SC) was one of the 20 or 21 stakes that piloted the initial MLS. At one time, we had several progam managers come out from SLC for some training and focus groups. The most highly mentioned item was a scaled down version available via the web, particularly for HT and VT updates. At that time, they mentioned that such a program was in the works. Of course, there were many concerns in SLC (understandably) about web security and sensitive information and so this was proceeding slow to ensure all issues could be addressed. I realize there is an issue of how to push info from MLS to a web version and how to maintain access, when the computers are now in the home and not locked up in the clerks office, but hopefully we at least have some pilots running at this time.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

mtolman wrote:What is the current status of the Web version of MLS ? Many years ago, our stake (Greenville, SC) was one of the 20 or 21 stakes that piloted the initial MLS. At one time, we had several progam managers come out from SLC for some training and focus groups. The most highly mentioned item was a scaled down version available via the web, particularly for HT and VT updates. At that time, they mentioned that such a program was in the works. Of course, there were many concerns in SLC (understandably) about web security and sensitive information and so this was proceeding slow to ensure all issues could be addressed. I realize there is an issue of how to push info from MLS to a web version and how to maintain access, when the computers are now in the home and not locked up in the clerks office, but hopefully we at least have some pilots running at this time.
To my knowledge there is no work currently being done on a Web version of MLS. This has been discussed many times in meetings I've attended but I'm not aware of an active project.

Tom
Obi Hyer-p40

Please help us Stake Clerks

Post by Obi Hyer-p40 »

rwinterton wrote:Melchizedek priesthood ordinations are normally initiated by the wards, but handled by the stake. As a stake clerk, I have to ask the units to enter the priesthood ordinations since there's no way for me to enter that data in the stake computer. I would like to suggest that a way be devised for the information to be entered at the stake level and pushed back toward the wards. This would simplify the process and undoubtedly lead to fewer errors.

One possibly easier suggestion to help the stake clerks with the Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations would be to give us a report that prints after we connect to HQ whenever an ordination has been recorded by a ward in the stake. That way, we at least know if the wards have or have not entered the information. I see this report being similar to the reports that wards get when they get new membership records or have new information recorded at HQ.

I need something to help me keep up with the wards on these ordinations since I have 13 units to keep up with.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Obi Hyer wrote:One possibly easier suggestion to help the stake clerks with the Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations would be to give us a report that prints after we connect to HQ whenever an ordination has been recorded by a ward in the stake.
You can make a custom report that lists ordinations after a certain date.

However, checking on that just makes one more thing the stake has to do. I'd prefer the way that's been expressed with the stake updating the record in the case of Melchizek priesthood ordinations. Let the stake do it all. That brings it in line with the way it's done for temple work. Yes, the ward initiates, but after that, it's all up to the temple to do it. The ward, who is the keeper of the record, then can play the role of follow up. (And I've had to do that for some temple ordnances.)
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:You can make a custom report that lists ordinations after a certain date.

That might be best for the MLS as it is right now. Hopefully in the next update they willl have something that addresses this issue though.
- David
SmithGW

Missionary Organization Link

Post by SmithGW »

The mission leader and missionary positions for the ward are already "hard-wired" into MLS. Under Bishopric/Other Callings, click "Other Callings." Under Miscellaneous, click "Add Position." You will find the positions of mission leader and missionary there. Yes, having its own link would make the missionary positions easier to find, but the same could be said of the activity committee, the ward family history reps, and other groups.
greenwoodkl

Custom Organization

Post by greenwoodkl »

smithgw wrote:The mission leader and missionary positions for the ward are already "hard-wired" into MLS. Under Bishopric/Other Callings, click "Other Callings." Under Miscellaneous, click "Add Position." You will find the positions of mission leader and missionary there. Yes, having its own link would make the missionary positions easier to find, but the same could be said of the activity committee, the ward family history reps, and other groups.
That being said, why couldn't both a new MLS and new LUWS have a feature to allow the units to create custom organizational groupings for callings? In a YSA ward there are sometimes multiple elders quorums or relief societies. If there are 8-9 ward committees with chairs and members in each, it can make the Miscellaneous/Other section of the MLS or LUWS callings lists overly cumbersome and difficult to traverse.

Just some thoughts... :)
Rodney Beeede-p40

Drag & drop for Hometeaching

Post by Rodney Beeede-p40 »

When setting up home teaching it would be nice if I had two columns.

Column A would have a tree list of existing companionships. Expanding a companionship would list their families.

Column B would be a list of all members of the ward.

I could create new companionships by dragging a member from the right to the left.

I could assign a member to be taught by a companionship by dragging the member from the right to the left under an existing companionship.

Filters could be defined for the right-side list. Also any names dragged-and-dropped would automatically be sorted alphabetically on the left regardless of where in the list I put them.

Just a thought.
jbh001

GPS address information fields

Post by jbh001 »

My stake is in and area of frequent tornadoes. As a result, the stake presidency has requested that, for disaster response purposes, some one in each unit visit each member's address with a GPS unit and record the coordinates. This is because tornadoes can obliterate street signs and other landmarks usually used to locate an address.

Because of this, it would be helpful if MLS had a feature on the address maintenance screens that had fields for latitude and longitude. Some reports would also need to be updated in order print out this information. This could also be a feature that can be toggles on or off since some units might not find this ability useful. (My current ward comprises 1.5 counties, but I have also been in a ward that was only had nine city blocks.)

I realize that this is already possible to some extent in MLS 2.8 by using custom member fields and custom reports. But integrating this ability on the address maintenance screen itself and modifying some of the standard reports would greatly simplify this process while also making it more intuitive.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”