Merge duplicate records

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
raklet-p40

Merge duplicate records

Post by raklet-p40 »

I have two records for the same individual in my ward. One record contains all of her ordinance information, but the last name is wrong (it shows last name from a previous marriage). The other record contains the correct name, but there is no ordinance information or otherwise.

The record with missing information, but the correct married name is shown as the spouse of the head of household (as it should be). The first record with the incorrect name is shown as a member of the household, but is not the spouse.

How can I fix this?

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

raklet wrote:I have two records for the same individual in my ward. One record contains all of her ordinance information, but the last name is wrong (it shows last name from a previous marriage). The other record contains the correct name, but there is no ordinance information or otherwise.

The record with missing information, but the correct married name is shown as the spouse of the head of household (as it should be). The first record with the incorrect name is shown as a member of the household, but is not the spouse.

The first thing to check is the membership record number on both records. Is there a real record number on each record? By real record number, I mean that it is not a temporary record number, which would have the ward's unit number embedded in the number.

If they are both real record numbers, then you need to cancel the membership record that has no ordinances. To do this in MLS, go to Membership > View/Update Records > Cancel Record.

If one of them is a temporary record number, then you can just remove the temporary record. To do this in MLS, go to Membership > View/Update Records > Remove Temporary Records.

Next, you need to update the membership record that has the ordinances to have the correct name. To do this in MLS, go to Membership > Individual Record, find the record, and edit the name.

Then you'll have to make this new record the spouse record. You should make sure that the husband's record has the correct record number in the Current Spouse section of his individual membership record. If it is not, then correct that information. Then you should be able to click on the Add Spouse to Household link on his record, which should make her the Spouse in the household.

Once you transmit those changes, all of it should be sorted out.
deshamo

Re: Merge duplicate records

Post by deshamo »

This mostly worked for me. It deleted the temporary member number that had been created for a female spouse from our list, but it did not delete the marriage ordinance that had been performed with that temporary number. It would not allow me to update the marriage information for that spouse or link it to the real number, so In my case wrote down the marriage date and place, then I had to terminate the marriage as reason unknown. I then performed the marriage ordinance again with the date and place that I recorded previously. I hope I did the right thing.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”