Encryption tools for MLS computers?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

RussellHltn wrote:The problem with WinZIp is that it's not freeware, it's trialware. Unless the unit buys it, it shouldn't be installed as a permanent solution.

I know. I would expect units to pay for the licensed version. And the end-users, too. One advantage for 7-Zip is that it is free.

One reason I thought it might make sense for WinZip to be a centralized purchase -- if it is deemed to be a viable solution -- is that there are deep discounts advertised for multiuser licensing, as low as $6 per seat in quantities of 500-999.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Personally, I've never liked U3. There are viruses out there that can hijack a U3 drive and take advantage of the autorun feature to infect unsuspecting host PC's. Every U3 flash drive I've purchased gets a complete U3 uninstall and reformat before being put into use.

Is there any reason the encryption features of OpenOffice.org couldn't be used to protect files being transported to other locations?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Mikerowaved wrote:Personally, I've never liked U3. There are viruses out there that can hijack a U3 drive and take advantage of the autorun feature to infect unsuspecting host PC's. Every U3 flash drive I've purchased gets a complete U3 uninstall and reformat before being put into use.

As I understand it, you are correct that portable-application platforms -- including but not limited to U3 -- themselves open up the possibility for malware. After all, the user is running an executable from this drive.
Mikerowaved wrote:Is there any reason the encryption features of OpenOffice.org couldn't be used to protect files being transported to other locations?

The only way I know to do that in is to convert the .csv data to one of the Open Office file types first. That certainly should not be done in the spreadsheet application (the default for csv files) because it would mangle the data format of the MLS export files when the data got re-exported to csv.

Importing to OO Writer and exporting to text would introduce more steps for the end user, and introduce a risk of data corruption such as extra newlines, etc., which might do mischief downstream. But it probably would work if done carefully.

I have no informed opinion on how good the encryption is.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:Personally, I've never liked U3. There are viruses out there that can hijack a U3 drive and take advantage of the autorun feature to infect unsuspecting host PC's.
I know there are viruses that take advantage of the autorun (yow, flashback to the 1980's...) but is there something specific to U3 that creates a risk?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:I know there are viruses that take advantage of the autorun (yow, flashback to the 1980's...) but is there something specific to U3 that creates a risk?
Yeah, it uses hidden system folders to store some of the normal autorun payload and for a while that area was invisible to AV scanners. That opened it up to malware putting its own payload there. Most AV scanners have now added the ability to scan there, but I still don't think the benefits of U3 outweigh the risk.

I also don't like the fact that U3 system files are automatically installed on any host machine it's plugged into without any user permission or intervention. That to me is unacceptable.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:Yeah, it uses hidden system folders to store some of the normal autorun payload and for a while that area was invisible to AV scanners.
Sounds like a fault of the AV Scanners.
Mikerowaved wrote:I also don't like the fact that U3 system files are automatically installed on any host machine it's plugged into without any user permission or intervention. That to me is unacceptable.
Yes, that is a peeve of mine. But I think to blame U3 is shooting the messenger. The real fault is with autorun.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

I was interested in U3 at the outset, but was disappointed when there was not much critical mass of packaged applications available for it. That's why I turned it off. It was just getting in the way. I have bought a couple of SanDisk flash drives mostly because I like their physical design. They stay put securely on a key chain.

But now, thanks to mkmurray, I am reminded that the built-in encryption might be useful. But the cons raised by mikerowaved have to be weighed.

The other configuration I have experimented with is 7-Zip Portable, which does not have a launcher at all. It is just installed as a standalone .exe on a generic flash drive. It does not function like U3's encryption, which automatically protects the whole drive. Rather, it just makes 7-Zip available to me to run even though it is not installed on the host computer. Installing it took a couple of steps, and to execute it I browse to the .exe in its folder and click it the old-fashioned way, then interactively compress and encrypt the files I want as an archive.

I think this can work for me, but it is not exactly a plug-and-play solution for everyone. The same functionality would be provided more directly for every user if 7-Zip (or WinZip) were just installed permanently on the computer.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

boomerbubba wrote:The same functionality would be provided more directly for every user if 7-Zip (or WinZip) were just installed permanently on the computer.
Sounds like a good solution to me. The license is free for commercial and non-commercial use, so that's not a hurdle. I guess the question is, how would we get it onto the "approved" list of applications for admin PC's?
hpaulsen

Post by hpaulsen »

Going back to the beginning, I wonder whether exported files should be encrypted immediately, even on the ward computer. We just had ours stolen in a seemingly targeted attack (perhaps for the purpose of information mining), and my greatest concern is that there might be a Membership.csv somewhere in it.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

HPaulsen wrote:Going back to the beginning, I wonder whether exported files should be encrypted immediately, even on the ward computer. We just had ours stolen in a seemingly targeted attack (perhaps for the purpose of information mining), and my greatest concern is that there might be a Membership.csv somewhere in it.

Wow. That is a scary story. Physical security is hugely important for lots of reasons. The password policy for Windows logins on that box is pretty loose in the first place, by the standards of many sysadmins.

Even without such a gross incident, there are good reasons not to have such files sitting around on the computer.

There are multiple users (EQ, HP and RS secretaries, for example) who have legitimate access to the computer but who probably shouldn't have access to the confidential detail in such files. I occasionally delete export files that bishopric members have left behind. Like so many elements of security, the human factor is usually the greatest vulnerability.

EDIT: And speaking of the human factor, users really should be picking strong passwords for any zip files. (And end users almost never do.) This is especially important on removable media because these files are vulnerable to brute-force, dictionary-style attacks. One advertised advantage to the SanDisk's whole-disk encryption is that, being software-based, the device is supposed to shut down and self-destruct after some finite number of failed attempts to open its vault.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”