Mls 3.0.2

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:In many cases the differences are quite subtle and not worth worrying about (straining at gnats, perhaps). Clerks should track assignments just as they would any calling in MLS, and hopefully members will serve faithfully however the priesthood leaders ask them to serve.
In other words, put it in MLS the same way you would a calling?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:In other words, put it in MLS the same way you would a calling?

Sure. After all, the terms "calling" and "position" are used almost interchangeably in MLS. An assignment is a position, and as I said, may not have any significant difference from a calling.

There is probably no reason to put some assignments in MLS, but some assignments take a lot of time and are for a significant period of time (years, perhaps), and it is helpful for leaders to have a record of the assignment so that it will show up on reports such as "Callings by Organization" and "Members with Callings" and not show up on "Members without Callings."
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:Assignments are given by priesthood leaders under inspiration and can have all the blessings of a calling. I see nothing in the Handbook or scriptures that would justify making the distinction that an assignment has no blessings attached.
The blessings I was refering to are those blessings promised during the laying on of hands. I agree that anyone providing service will receive blessings. It is just that the blessings that are promised are known.
Alan_Brown wrote:In many cases the differences are quite subtle and not worth worrying about (straining at gnats, perhaps).
There is a doctrine of callings and releases (see Articles of Faith 1:5) and procedures to follow (see CHI, Book 1, 2006, p 45-58) but no such doctrine for assignments nor procedures to follow, at least in the CHI.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”