Get all fields for members, limited to 14 columns

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ebenvisher

Get all fields for members, limited to 14 columns

Post by ebenvisher »

When I create a custom report, I can only select a limited number of fields. The limit appears to be the number of columns LCR can put across one page. For some reports, at least, that limit is 14 fields (columns).

There appear to be 67 fields for each member. How can I get a listing (a report) of all the fields for every member?

All I've figured so far is run, say, seven reports with 10 columns per report (except the last, of course).

Thanks so much for your time and answers.

--Eben Visher
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Get all fields for members, limited to 14 columns

Post by jdlessley »

For what reason would you need all 67 fields at one time?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ebenvisher

Post by ebenvisher »

JD,

Thanks for your interest. I need to run reports LCR cannot create. For instance, LCR has essentially no formatting or grouping ability.

Do you know how to get the data? With MLS it was easy. There was a menu choice which was, essentially, "Write all the records out to a file."

Thanks.

--Eben Visher
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For security reasons, exporting of data is not supported.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

EbenVisher wrote:Do you know how to get the data? With MLS it was easy. There was a menu choice which was, essentially, "Write all the records out to a file."
The ability to export sensitive membership data has been going away for quite some time, and is nearly gone now. Although the church has not said specifically, I believe it is because of worldwide security and legal issues.

As far as I am aware, there is no longer a way to download the data. If LCR will not create a report you need, you can request it, or your priesthood leaders can send up a request through priesthood channels to the leaders who make the decisions concerning what reports or information will be available to local leaders.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

EbenVisher wrote:Do you know how to get the data?
No I don't. The trend since the implementation of the EU GDPR (general data protection regulation) is to lock down the ability for member data to be exported and used in a way that violates not only the GDPR, but other country and individual US state privacy laws. Unfortunately that requires a clerk to plan the reports needed and create the custom report needed for each situation - whatever it may be.

If the Create a Report tool is not capable of creating a report or the format you need then send a feedback message through the feedback link found on the bottom of the page. You most likely won't get a personal response but those responsible for making the decisions will get the feedback. I doubt a report that includes all possible fields will ever exist.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ebenvisher

Post by ebenvisher »

All,

Thank you both so much.

The issue is the reporting mechanism, not security. Clearly, we can print reports with any of the fields, so the Church is not keeping sensitive items from us. We're ward clerks so that makes sense to me.

Take Excel as an example. Excel handles printing any number columns correctly. Say I am printing 50 people per sheet of paper. Excel put some columns on one page and the rest on a second page. If there are some left, it puts them on a third page. And so on. Then it moves down to the next 50 lines and does the same thing for them. Etc.

By contrast, LCR prints 14 columns and simply *ignores* the remainder.

BTW, I had no problem getting all the fields. I simply ran six reports, each containing a different set of 12-14 columns.

The problem at the moment is that no PDF-to-Word or PDF-to-text app that I can find, properly formats the result. This includes Adobe's own tool, for which I pay a monthly subscription.

So I guess we can drop the topic if you're happy with that. I'll work with the reports I have and will end up with one line per member. Each line will have all the fields, so I can then generate reports in any format to my heart's content.

Thanks again for all your thought and willingness to help

--Eben Visher
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

This appears to be a near duplicate of your post on this subject from last month.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=34141
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

EbenVisher wrote:The issue is the reporting mechanism, not security.
Security is an issue. You having the ability to generate a report is not the same as you having the ability to export a significant chunk of data and store it on an unsecured workstation.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

My recommendation would be to send feedback to the Leader and Clerk Resources team requesting any specific reports you generate manually, that you think might be useful. That way, if the reports are implemented, any clerk could benefit from them.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”