Moving MLS access to another computer

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
cookgreg

Moving MLS access to another computer

Post by cookgreg »

I am a branch President trying to get my branches MLS records and reporting moved from one computer in another town to a ward building closer to me.
I serve in a prison branch and the previous branch president lives in another town which was his home ward and he kept the mls records and reporting on the home ward computer. Since I have been called as the new branch president I would like to move our MLS access to another computer in my home ward building. In the prison branch most who attend the branch meetings cannot pay tithing but there are some who can and this has created a stronger need for me to have access to MLS which is closer to the prison and also my home ward building.

I need to know the procedure for moving this access from one computer to another.

Sincerely,
President Greg Cook
McNary Branch President
Hermiston, Oregon Stake
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Moving MLS access to another computer

Post by russellhltn »

I assume both computers are already running MLS to support other units and you're just moving your unit between existing computers. (Note: church policy requires any computer running MLS to be a church-owned computer and not a donation or privately owned.)

The procedure would be similar to Setting Up a New Clerk Computer.
  • Do "Task 1: Back up Data and Reset Security Token"
  • Skip "Task 2"
  • An MLS admin on the new computer will have to go into MLS and set up your unit. (I can't find documentation on that. It's probably in MLS's HELP file.)
  • Do "Task 3: Restore MLS Data"
  • Skip "Task 4"
  • Do "Instructions for Setting up Multiple User Accounts"
Note that the Security Token reset can only be done when support is open. Typically, that doesn't include Sundays. (Maybe Sunday night when Australia starts their workday.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I assume both computers are already running MLS to support other units and you're just moving your unit between existing computers.
In addition, after you have moved your unit MLS information to the new computer and it is up and running, you should ask the unit that was formerly hosting the branch to completely remove your unit from that MLS computer.

Once you have accessed your branch information on the new computer, you should not go back and access it on the old computer. In other words, make a clean, one-time move from the old computer to the new computer and do not look back.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:Note that the Security Token reset can only be done when support is open. Typically, that doesn't include Sundays. (Maybe Sunday night when Australia starts their workday.)
They have a limited crew there on Sunday, starting around 5 pm Mountain Time, mostly to reset MLS tokens and other minor help. Best to do the file transfer on a weekday when the full support team is available should you need assistance.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”