Error Processing Files

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6140
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Error Processing Files

Postby lajackson » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:31 pm

I had a new experience this evening. After a Send/Receive on stake MLS, the computer was faithfully processing all of the incoming files from all the wards. You may have noticed this before. The message says processing and the file name is the unit number and a three digit extension.

Well, about half the unit files processed, then all of a sudden the file name started changing rapidly, then MLS stopped and a message popped up that said there had been an error processing files, that the corrupt file would be sent back to CHQ to be repaired and returned. I was given the option to do another Send/Receive immediately or later.

I chose later, activated a new temple recommend, then did the Send/Receive.

I have never seen this before. I wonder if it is a new feature with MLS 3.0.0 or if it has been there all along.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:50 pm

lajackson wrote:I had a new experience this evening. After a Send/Receive on stake MLS, the computer was faithfully processing all of the incoming files from all the wards. You may have noticed this before. The message says processing and the file name is the unit number and a three digit extension.

Well, about half the unit files processed, then all of a sudden the file name started changing rapidly, then MLS stopped and a message popped up that said there had been an error processing files, that the corrupt file would be sent back to CHQ to be repaired and returned. I was given the option to do another Send/Receive immediately or later.

I chose later, activated a new temple recommend, then did the Send/Receive.

I have never seen this before. I wonder if it is a new feature with MLS 3.0.0 or if it has been there all along.

I confirm this as well tonight, both for the ward I'm in and my stake. Our stake clerk happened to stop by just after it happened to me, and he said "yeah, I just saw that too!"

He noticed that the error happened right after processing the wacky filenames, wacky that is in comparison to what lajackson described as the norm. The filenames still started with the unit number, but the long string of numbers after the period seemed to be some kind of timestamp string.

I did a Send/Receive a few hours after sending those troublesome processing files back to Church HQ, and those erroring files were not included in that subsequent Send/Receive, thus giving no such error again.

Very odd indeed.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:14 am

mkmurray wrote:He noticed that the error happened right after processing the wacky filenames, wacky that is in comparison to what lajackson described as the norm. The filenames still started with the unit number, but the long string of numbers after the period seemed to be some kind of timestamp string.


I've seen this a couple of times, and interestingly the second time was last night.

In both cases I looked at SYNCLOG.TXT (this is the file that logs MLS transmissions, and is located in the C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS folder) and saw the same specific entry. It showed that the problem occurred parsing a CDOL file.

I wouldn't describe the longer filenames as "wacky" -- there are clearly new sets of files sent down that use these new names. That part of the situation seems totally reasonable to me. But somehow some bad content is being sent down on occasion. There don't seem to be any other ill effects that I can tell, but who knows what updated information might not be received by MLS that really should have come down.

User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Postby mkmurray » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:19 am

Alan_Brown wrote:I wouldn't describe the longer filenames as "wacky"

Oh, you're no fun! :D

I will say this, though, I've never seen files-to-parse sent down from Church HQ that have this naming syntax before. So I don't know if we can definitively say that the filenames were meant to be this new syntax. It could be that the filenames tripped up the software, and not necessarily bad content within them.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:48 am

mkmurray wrote:I will say this, though, I've never seen files-to-parse sent down from Church HQ that have this naming syntax before. So I don't know if we can definitively say that the filenames were meant to be this new syntax. It could be that the filenames tripped up the software, and not necessarily bad content within them.


You may not have been paying attention, but those filenames are used extensively now. Examine SYNCLOG.TXT and you'll see what I mean.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6140
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:13 am

Alan_Brown wrote:I looked at SYNCLOG.TXT . . . and saw the same specific entry. It showed that the problem occurred parsing a CDOL file.


Funny. That's where we are having our stake trouble right now, the subject of another thread.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest