MLS Patch Issuing Day Problem

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

We all want to receive MLS fixes in a timely manner, but getting back to the original thought in this thread: having an unexpected update on Sunday causes a problem for some clerks.

As I recall, a year or so ago, there was much discussion about this issue--surprise updates--and for awhile the MLS team often gave advance warning of an update. I haven't kept track, so maybe these notices were just for the biggie's, i.e., a version upgrade, and not for the smaller patches. There was also a time where we were given the choice to defer the download, though only for a defined period of time, afterwhich the download would occur.

I think what WenU is really asked is for clerks to be given some ability to control when the system is patched and not force it down just because it's ready. In his case, he could do the Send/Receive between PEC and Sacrament meeting, get notice of an available update and elect to do it later. Then come back later that day or during the week and allow the update to take place.

Advance notice would be nice, but not necessarily feasible during Beta testing following Alan's one week cycle model. But then, MLS 3.0 has been a bit of an aberration with the unexpected widening of the "Beta Test Team." However, to always have the ability to control when an MLS update is applied, within a defined window, would be a very welcome feature.
JLR
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Pilotfly wrote:Later (last week) I stopped into the stake center and did some work. Did a send receive and noticed that when I looked, lo and behold, both the June Finance Report and access to the second quarter report was now available. I never saw a notice about a patch nor did I see a "reboot" note.

While the upgrade to MLS 3.0.0 may have caused the initial problem that caused the report not to be available, the fix would not have required an upgrade or patch to the program. CHQ would simply have had to trigger some data files for your specific unit.

This is probably why you did not see a requirement to reboot. They were able to fix your specific report problem without sending another patch.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JLRose wrote:I think what WenU is really asked is for clerks to be given some ability to control when the system is patched and not force it down just because it's ready. In his case, he could do the Send/Receive between PEC and Sacrament meeting, get notice of an available update and elect to do it later. Then come back later that day or during the week and allow the update to take place.

But then, MLS 3.0 has been a bit of an aberration with the unexpected widening of the "Beta Test Team."

I think you are right. In general, I have noticed that larger downloads come with an opportunity to postpone or defer them up to three times. I like this appreach very much. But, when CHQ feels that the download is small, or is a critical patch, they just send it.

I agree that it is frustrating to have the bishop or stake president ask for something and to have to tell him there is a delay because a lengthy download is in progress, especially on a slow dialup line. If a priesthood leader has any tendancy at all to be wary of the computer and its idiosyncracies, this is like putting a firecracker instead of a candle on the cake.

While patience is a virtue (or so they say), I have to keep reminding myself not to pray for it, because the first thing that always happens to me when I do is that MLS acts up. [grin]
cherishj

Post by cherishj »

Pilotfly wrote:I noticed that on the stake computer I was not getting the June Finance report nor was I able to see the second quarter Quarterly Report.
I'm not certain on your quarterly report without looking at your unit, but odds are we just had to send a fix related to the data, not the MLS software. The June statement was delayed due to a processing error at HQ, so this also was not related to 3.0.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

13thfloorrocks wrote:I'm not certain on your quarterly report without looking at your unit, but odds are we just had to send a fix related to the data, not the MLS software. The June statement was delayed due to a processing error at HQ, so this also was not related to 3.0.

I guess we (or at least me) were getting a bit gunshy of the issues that were happening with the upgrade to 3.0. I was assuming (I know, I know - shouldn't do that) that any portion of MLS that wasn't working right must be attributed to the problems we were all having with 3.0.

My first encounter with the upgrade problems came with trying to input temple recommends - that was definitly a bug that eventually was worked out. Then when the first week of July came and went and our unit was unable to get the June Finance Report and at the same time not being able to even see anything other than Quarter 1 of the Quarterly report, I had to believe that there were more problems than just the temple recommend input problems. Perhaps they were just individual unit problems but after talking with some of the MLS help folks over the phone I got the impression that they were part of the bugs that were being worked out prior to final release of 3.0.

In anycase, not sure if they were problems or not but they were fixed over time prior to the final download of MLS 3.0 last weekend. All is in order now (I think :) ) so all is forgiven --- :D

Jim

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”