MLS 3.0 Issue: Updating CDOL

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

MLS 3.0 Issue: Updating CDOL

Post by lajackson »

MLS 3.0 now allows the stake to update the CDOL electronically. However, it pulls information into the form from the membership record of the person who will be added to the directory or whose information will be changed.

If the membership record information is formatted poorly or even not correct, there does not seem to be a way to update it. Does this mean that the stake has to wait for the ward to change the membership record before the CDOL can be updated?

An example relating to a new entry: A new bishop is called. The phone number on his membership record does not include an area code (none in any of our wards do). Of what use will that phone number on the CDOL be without the area code? And it appears there is no way to enter it from the stake level.

An example relating to a change: A clerk wishes to change his e-mail address at CDOL. The form calls up information from the membership record that is not formatted for the CDOL. The e-mail address box is available to change, but the clerk must also reenter all of the information pertaining to the calling, including the date he was called and who set him apart. It does not appear that there is a way to change just the information that needs to be changed. It must all be entered again. Is this intended?

It is nice that changes can be made electonically, rather than by mailing paper back and forth, but I think there are still a few glitches to be worked out here.

And it does force the accuracy of the membership record in every detail, including address and phone number, even if that record then will be out of sync with the rest of the stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:An example relating to a new entry: A new bishop is called. The phone number on his membership record does not include an area code (none in any of our wards do). Of what use will that phone number on the CDOL be without the area code? And it appears there is no way to enter it from the stake level.
That raises another question regarding phone numbers. Typically the one on the membership record is a family number since the phone number can only be entered for the entire family. But a bishop may prefer to have his cell phone number published.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:That raises another question regarding phone numbers. Typically the one on the membership record is a family number since the phone number can only be entered for the entire family. But a bishop may prefer to have his cell phone number published.
That is already an option. In addition to the Home phone, which comes from the membership record, the Leader and Unit Change Request also contains fields for work phone, cell phone, and pager. Any or all of these can be filled in.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Does CDOL actually get updated?

Post by aebrown »

A couple of weeks ago, my stake president asked me to change his e-mail address on the CDOL. The CDOL lists an e-mail address for him that hasn't worked in some time, and someone (I think another stake president) tried to send him e-mail to that address and it bounced.

So I thought, "What great timing! MLS 3.0 has this cool new feature for updating the CDOL. I'll use that."

I dutifully proceeded to enter the new e-mail address for the stake president, and while I was at it, I added an e-mail address for the counselors in the stake presidency and the executive secretary as well. I saved my changes and did a Send/Recieve. So far so good.

But now when I look at the CDOL, I notice that none of the updates have occurred yet. Does anyone know how quickly such changes are supposed to be implemented in the CDOL? Is this an indication that there is a problem with this feature in MLS 3.0, or simply an indication that (as my wife accurately tells me quite often) I need to learn more patience?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:But now when I look at the CDOL, I notice that none of the updates have occurred yet. Does anyone know how quickly such changes are supposed to be implemented in the CDOL?
We sent paperwork on a new bishop a month ago. CDOL has not yet been updated. We sent the information electronically again Wednesday evening. CDOL has not yet been updated.

I plan to call Monday to see what the schedule is supposed to be. The ward is very transient. The bishop needs to contact another bishop several times a week. No one in the ward can help him with locator information, because only the released bishop (who is out of the country for a year) can access the directory until the new bishop gets into the directory.

I have been supporting the new bishop by e-mail for a month. I just sent him two more telephone numbers this afternoon.

It is a connected world.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Is this an indication that there is a problem with this feature in MLS 3.0, or simply an indication that (as my wife accurately tells me quite often) I need to learn more patience?
There was a cdol-mls update on 6/13/09 at 9:16 am. If that moment in time rings a bell for you, then yes, some things update automatically.

My guess is that some things, even sent electronically, will be intercepted by a person and updated manually so that they are in the proper format for the CDOL. A bishop's phone number, for example, is shown two different ways in CDOL. The format of some of his contact information is different at CDOL than on his membership record.

It appears that some things update from MLS without intervention. For example, in the ward where we sent in new bishop information last month, the new counselors are showing at CDOL. This had to have come from the ward MLS 3.0 because the stake does not sent that information with the bishop update.
cherishj

Post by cherishj »

Right now the processing of calling information into CDOL (and therefore sending it back down to MLS) is extremely back-logged. My understanding is that once it is functioning properly, the information will be processed within a few hours. The unofficial word as of Friday afternoon is that it will take 1-2 weeks to finish processing all the information that has already been uploaded. Hopefully we will know a more solid timeline on Monday when I get back to work.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

By the way, on the login screen of CDOL, there is a version number string that may be of help to most of you.

Here is the current version number of CDOL and it's database:
(2.3.1.1-rev.8689, db:20090618144650)
The version number of the site functionality itself isn't that helpful, but the "db" version could be. It appears it is a DateTime object (not sure what it's called in Java) that has had it's ToString method called (not sure what the method name in Java is called either :)). That date says 2009/06/18 02:46:50 PM. Before you even login, this could be a helpful indicator of if you can even expect your submissions to have been processed yet or not.

I don't think this timestamp will guarantee your submitted changes have been processed yet. However, as CHQ gets caught up with the millions of changes that were submitted to them all at once, this timestamp could become more helpful.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

DB version

Post by jonesrk »

mkmurray wrote:By the way, on the login screen of CDOL, there is a version number string that may be of help to most of you.

Here is the current version number of CDOL and it's database:

However, as CHQ gets caught up with the millions of changes that were submitted to them all at once, this timestamp could become more helpful.
That db version is just which schema version the database is on. So that will not change based on the data received from MLS. The schema version is just the time that the sql script was created by the developor and the version that displays is the latest one that has been applied to the db.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

ryan jones wrote:That db version is just which schema version the database is on. So that will not change based on the data received from MLS. The schema version is just the time that the sql script was created by the developor and the version that displays is the latest one that has been applied to the db.
Well, drat. :) Thanks for the correction.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”