Combining YW Classes

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
EthanBratt

Combining YW Classes

Post by EthanBratt »

Our bishopric recently decided to combine the Laurels and Mia Maids due to low numbers. They will be calling one presidency for the combined group. This is something allowable in the handbook.

I'm trying to figure out how in MLS to properly record the callings. It doesn't seem possible at least from what I can figure out. Does anyone have any insight?
Ethan
STS
Colorado
drepouille

Re: Combining YW Classes

Post by drepouille »

My ward has had fewer than ten young women for many years, so my ward leaders decided to create three custom callings:
  • Young Women's Class President
    Young Women's Class First Counselor
    Young Women's Class Second Counselor
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problem with custom callings is that they confer no keys to LCR, such as personal progress.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

As far as I know, youth leaders (the youth themselves as opposed to the adult YW presidency and advisors) do not get any rights in any online system so that shouldn't currently be an issue.
EthanBratt

Post by EthanBratt »

drepouille wrote:My ward has had fewer than ten young women for many years, so my ward leaders decided to create three custom callings:
  • Young Women's Class President
    Young Women's Class First Counselor
    Young Women's Class Second Counselor
So do you just create those callings generally in the YW organization? What are did you put them under in the YW organization since you can't put them under the classes?
Ethan
STS
Colorado
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I don't think it matters, since no custom callings appear on your Officers Sustained report. We just added them to the Young Women Presidency, so they appear right under the YW Secretary. But we could have stuck them under the YW Advisers or anywhere else in the YW organization.
The tricky part is sustaining them during your ward conference. You just need to coordinate with the high council on that.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
EthanBratt

Post by EthanBratt »

That makes sense. Thank you!
Ethan
STS
Colorado
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Don't do it, combine the class for logistics purposes but call presidents and secretaries for both groups, think of how you'd do the young men, the young men would NEVER be combined like that without having Presidents called....
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

johnshaw wrote:Don't do it, combine the class for logistics purposes but call presidents and secretaries for both groups, think of how you'd do the young men, the young men would NEVER be combined like that without having Presidents called....
You are correct with regard to the Young Men. Aaronic Priesthood quorum presidencies are never combined. But Handbook 2, 17.2.3 allows for the combining of Young Women age-groups and allows for one presidency to be called in a ward or branch with few young women.

It is not a requirement, and my personal preference would be to keep separate YW class presidencies, if possible, even if the classes are meeting together for activities and Sunday instruction. But the option is there for the bishopric to consider and it is authorized by the Handbook.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Agreed, but many decisions are made and never questioned, never pushed back on. My personality is such that I'm always willing to put in my 2 cents... OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER Bishoprics and Stake Presidencies modified their original thinking just be discussing something another 5 more minutes, and only because someone said, what about this, etc...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”