java.lang.NullPointerException

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
songc

Postby songc » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:31 pm

We have a problem with logging into MLS.
The initial problem with our MLS computer started with the hard disk running out of disk space (0Gb). Whenever we tried to perform a Send/Receive on MLS, it came back with an error. We eventually found out that the Windows updates temporary cab files was taking up all the disk space. We cleared the temporary cab files from the C:\Windows\Temp directory and that gave us back our disk space.

Now we have another problem. Whenever we try to log into MLS and after entering the user name and password, it came back with the exception below:

The following serious error occurred while attempting to log in:
This is a serious problem that will prevent you from logging in until it is resolved.

We have tried all the suggestions below in the MLS Support forum for "java.lang.NullPointerException" error but is still unable to resolve the problem:

1. Install MLS on top of the current installation.
2. Uninstall MLS and then re-installing MLS.
3. Restore the data from an older backup.

We are running MLS 3.8.5_23949 October 26. 2016 on Windows 7.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: java.lang.NullPointerException

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:15 am

I'm surprised you ran out of disk space. I think typical units only run 25% full. I have to wonder if you don't have something else contributing to the lack of space.

I'm not sure what to suggest about getting MLS running. You may have to wait until support opens on Monday.

What you can try is renaming the LDS Church folder under C:\ProgramData. That will clear out all the data and MLS should act like a new machine. Then you should be able to restore a backup from before the disk got full.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

songc

Postby songc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:57 am

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. We did try to rename the C:\ProgramData of the MLS data files and then copying the backup data to the folder, but that didn't fix the problem either.

The lack of space is not a problem anymore since we cleared the build up of temp files.
We have run the virus checker and also run chkdsk, but that didn't bring up any issues.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:39 am

Does MLS require a specific version of Windows? Maybe Windows hasn't been able to update like it's supposed to.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:01 pm

I'm thinking you may have to uninstall MLS and then nuke any remaining portions found in ProgramData and Program Files (x86).
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”