PC hanging up with javaw.exe & MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

RussellHltn wrote:Now how do you tell what version is in the jre6 folder without looking at the MLS log?
Alan_Brown wrote:There may be an easier way, but I usually just look at the java.exe in the bin folder of the Java Runtime installation. If you right click on java.exe and do Properties, then go to the Details tab, you'll see the File version, for which the first component is the major version, and the third component is 10x the minor version. For example, JRE6 Release 11 will have a file version of 6.0.110.3. Also the Product name is Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U11.
Another method is to simply run the Java binary with an option to print the version. That's normally "java -version" on *ix. The character in front of the option name might differ on the OS on which MLS runs.
jpjones~ogr

new Java trick

Post by jpjones~ogr »

I've been testing some theories about Java operation, but came across a new trick from it today. After updating to version 6 update 12 a few MLS functions stopped responding and gave very uninformative error messages. We couldn't start a new tithing batch, or access system options, or access bank reconciliation. These were the three quickly found, and their may be other affects. The error window simply stated "An error occurred." My solution was to uninstall update 12 and reinstall update 11.

Regarding testing theories, I can offer the following.
The javaw process does not shut down normally after using and closing MLS the first time in a day. After manually ending the process MLS seems to open and close without leaving javaw active. I'm starting to think I should revert to a much older version of Java that will play friendly with MLS.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”