PC hanging up with javaw.exe & MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
fletch1027
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Sharpsburg, GA

PC hanging up with javaw.exe & MLS

Postby fletch1027 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:45 am

I have seen this issue sporadically, but it seems that since we have upgraded to 2.9.3 I have noticed it more.

If I start MLS from a fresh boot, everything is fine, however, if the MLS application happens to get closed all the way (as opposed to a user logging out), I get the following window that pops up and never progresses past halfway on the status bar when I try and open it again:

"Loading Resources"

Also while this is happening, I noticed that the javaw.exe process gradually takes more and more memory, and this happens before MLS shows up as an active application. Killing the javaw.exe process does not help either.

At this point, my only recourse is to do a clean restart. Our computer is a standard issue Dell 740 which is about 13-14 months old.

Has anyone seen this happen before? I am assuming it is some sort of memory leak. We are not yet online, so I do not know of an easy way to do any Windows or Java updates...

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:11 am

I recommend contacting your stake technology specialist and have him check out your problem.

If you are the STS then what corrective action have you taken other than restarting MLS?

Since you are getting indications that Java may not be functioning correctly I would try reinstalling MLS. The reason for doing this is because it appears that MLS installs its own version of Java in a non-standard location on the computer. Any updates to Java as found in your Add or Remove Programs applet will not correct any Java issues found in MLS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:21 am

jdlessley wrote:.... I would try reinstalling MLS. The reason for doing this is because it appears that MLS installs its own version of Java in a non-standard location on the computer. Any updates to Java as found in your Add or Remove Programs applet will not correct any Java issues found in MLS.


Be aware that a re-installation of the MLS software can (and usually does) result in a security lockout which will require you to contact the Clerk's support desk in SLC to have the lockout cleared. I wouldn't do this on a Friday after 5:00 PM Mt or on a weekend or you'll find MLS unable to perform a send/receive.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:35 am

Techgy wrote:Be aware that a re-installation of the MLS software can (and usually does) result in a security lockout which will require you to contact the Clerk's support desk in SLC to have the lockout cleared. I wouldn't do this on a Friday after 5:00 PM Mt or on a weekend or you'll find MLS unable to perform a send/receive.


The security reset is not required if you simply reinstall MLS on top of the existing MLS installation. That could only be an issue if you completely uninstall MLS and then install again.

fletch1027
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 pm
Location: Sharpsburg, GA

Postby fletch1027 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:01 pm

jdlessley wrote:I recommend contacting your stake technology specialist and have him check out your problem.

If you are the STS then what corrective action have you taken other than restarting MLS?

Since you are getting indications that Java may not be functioning correctly I would try reinstalling MLS. The reason for doing this is because it appears that MLS installs its own version of Java in a non-standard location on the computer. Any updates to Java as found in your Add or Remove Programs applet will not correct any Java issues found in MLS.


I am the former STS, now WC in our ward. I will try a fresh 2.9.3 install over the existing one (just downloaded it). The only other corrective action I was thinking about was running something like TuneUp Utilities to seee what junk may be on the PC.

Since it is a pretty new computer with not a whole lot on it and no current internet access, it was really baffling what could be been causing the problem, besides maybe a Win or Java update, but like you said, a Java update may not tough the Java MLS uses...

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:22 pm

I am not certain but I think the version of Java MLS 2.9.3 uses is located at C:\Program Files\jre6\bin which is 6.0.110.3. When I installed the latest Java version 6.0.120.4 it was installed at C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin and then updated the executable in the C:\Windows\system32 directory which is the one the web browser uses.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

jpjones~ogr
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: Brigham City, UT, USA

PC hanging up with javaw.exe & MLS

Postby jpjones~ogr » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:33 pm

I've struggled with this java issue for probably a year or so. My understanding is that a second instance of javaw.exe is loaded, unless the PC is rebooted, or you take the time to end the first instance (Windows process).

Because I tend to let the Ward PC run all day Sunday I've developed a standard work-around. After exiting MLS (for security reasons and to allow asst. clerks and secretaries access) I end the javaw process, if running. It seems that only certain functions in MLS start java, because it's not always running after exiting MLS.

I'll be interested in the final solution. My STS had no clue that it was even a problem and hasn't been able to provide insight or solutions.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:55 pm

jpjonesxyz wrote:My understanding is that a second instance of javaw.exe is loaded, unless the PC is rebooted, or you take the time to end the first instance (Windows process).
What do you mean when you say a second instance of javaw.exe is loaded?

By using Windows Task Manager you can observe the processes that are running. When MLS is started javaw.exe is started. When MLS is shut down so is javaw.exe. Anything else is not normal.

jpjonesxyz wrote:Because I tend to let the Ward PC run all day Sunday I've developed a standard work-around. After exiting MLS (for security reasons and to allow asst. clerks and secretaries access) I end the javaw process, if running.
You should not have to end the process. That is a normal part of exiting MLS. If you still have javaw.exe in the Processes tab of the Task Manager then something is wrong assuming you have not started another Java program.

jpjonesxyz wrote:It seems that only certain functions in MLS start java, because it's not always running after exiting MLS.
Actually javaw.exe is started when MLS is started because MLS is a Java program. The presence of javaw.exe in the Processes tab of Windows Task Manager after exiting MLS only indicates one of two things. Either there is a problem with MLS and it was not fully terminated - possibly only the GUI was terminated - or another Java program is running.

If you do not have any other Java programs running and there is the javaw.exe process still displayed in Windows Task Manager then I suggest you follow the same suggestion I gave flech.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
ericb
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Vancouver USA

Postby ericb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:15 pm

jdlessley wrote:I am not certain but I think the version of Java MLS 2.9.3 uses is located at C:\Program Files\jre6\bin which is 6.0.110.3. When I installed the latest Java version 6.0.120.4 it was installed at C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin and then updated the executable in the C:\Windows\system32 directory which is the one the web browser uses.


Keep in mind that Java applications, such as MLS, do not necessarily utilize a 'common' JRE (Java Runtime Environment) installed on a workstation. An application may install its own individual instance of a JRE within its folder structure to ensure version compatibility...I seem to remember that MLS falls into this category. This would mean manually installing a JRE for general application use would not make a difference to MLS. Maybe this has changed over time.

I'm thinking the only application on a clerks' PC that probably utilizes a manually installed JRE is Internet Explorer (for Java plug-ins). If I'm off base here, please let me know.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:22 am

ericb wrote:Keep in mind that Java applications, such as MLS, do not necessarily utilize a 'common' JRE (Java Runtime Environment) installed on a workstation. An application may install its own individual instance of a JRE within its folder structure to ensure version compatibility...I seem to remember that MLS falls into this category. This would mean manually installing a JRE for general application use would not make a difference to MLS. Maybe this has changed over time.

I'm thinking the only application on a clerks' PC that probably utilizes a manually installed JRE is Internet Explorer (for Java plug-ins). If I'm off base here, please let me know.


I believe jdlessley already addressed your first point earlier in the thread -- MLS definitely uses its own JRE in C:\Program Files\jre6.

As for the second, OpenOffice is widely used on clerk PCs, and it uses Java. It can be configured to use the same one MLS uses, or if a standard Java installation has been done, it can use that JRE. I haven't ever seen any issues with OpenOffice either way.

But to get back to the topic of this thread, if there are problems with javaw.exe and MLS, it is definitely the one in C:\Program Files\jre6 you are dealing with.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest