MLS Release/Version 2.9.3 Multiple download/install

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
elderlarryhawkes-p40

MLS Release/Version 2.9.3 Multiple download/install

Post by elderlarryhawkes-p40 »

I have seen this with prior versions too, but since it happened again with this version, I thought I would see if anyone else is seeing or having the same thing happen and know why.:confused:

Last week (25Jan2009), MLS version 2.9.3 downloaded and installed during a send and receive and said to reboot to make it effective (the version number displayed in the top left of the MLS window updated to 2.9.3 after the reboot). Again this week (1Feb2009) we got the same message saying that 2.9.3 was downloading and to reboot etc....

The question is why does the same MLS version keep downloading as if the first one never happened. Sometimes in the past I have seen this happen three times for the same version.

If this is just a matter of the version really being for example 2.9.3.01 and/or 2.9.3.02 and/or 2.9.3.03 and are really valad updates, but only 2.9.3 is displayed and mentioned in the updated notification, it would be very helpful and a lot less confusing it the true/full version of the update was displayed on the top left of the MLS window and mentioned in the update notification message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

elderlarryhawkes wrote:Last week (25Jan2009), MLS version 2.9.3 downloaded and installed during a send and receive and said to reboot to make it effective (the version number displayed in the top left of the MLS window updated to 2.9.3 after the reboot). Again this week (1Feb2009) we got the same message saying that 2.9.3 was downloading and to reboot etc....

The question is why does the same MLS version keep downloading as if the first one never happened. Sometimes in the past I have seen this happen three times for the same version.

If this is just a matter of the version really being for example 2.9.3.01 and/or 2.9.3.02 and/or 2.9.3.03 and are really valad updates, but only 2.9.3 is displayed and mentioned in the updated notification, it would be very helpful and a lot less confusing it the true/full version of the update was displayed on the top left of the MLS window and mentioned in the update notification message.

This should only be happening if your stake is participating in the beta test program. This must be the case, since you would not have received MLS 2.9.3 last week otherwise. If you look closely at the build number that is displayed in the lower right corner of the initial MLS screen (or in Help > About) you will see a 5-digit number appended to the 2.9.3 version number. This version does indeed change between beta builds.

My guess is that the MLS developers don't worry about making special messages for beta build updates, since this is a small subset of all MLS users. Non-beta users will see the MLS 2.9.3 download message only once.
elderlarryhawkes-p40

Post by elderlarryhawkes-p40 »

Thanks Alan,

That must be it. It use to be that the version number in the top left would include a "b" at the end, for example 2.9.3b, but I have not seen that in quite some time now. I wasn't sure if we were still participating in the beta versions, but apparently we are. I will have to start paying closer attention to the build numbers as you described to distinguish between the different versions. Thanks for your help with the clarification, it is much appreciated.:)

Larry

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”