Loading MLS on personal laptop

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
khasay12

Loading MLS on personal laptop

Post by khasay12 »

I will be conducting a training session for Ward Financial Clerks in our stake. I would like to use an actual computer (preferably my laptop) to demonstrate various procedures in MLS. I understand that MLS can be installed on a personal laptop and loaded with artificial (not real) data. How can that be done? What operating systems are compatible? I would appreciate any help.
eblood66

Re: Loading MLS on personal laptop

Post by eblood66 »

See http://tech.lds.org/wiki/MLS_test_data. I'm not sure whether a test install of MLS would run on something other than Windows but the installer is Windows only so using anything else would be difficult. The test data is old and there are parts of MLS that you can't really use in the test install because they require receiving actual data from CHQ (which doesn't happen for the test data). But a test install can still be useful to demonstrate certain things. But you should test what your want to demonstrate before hand to make sure it can be done in the test install.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

khasay wrote:I will be conducting a training session for Ward Financial Clerks in our stake.
Forget it. The training database is way out of date at this point. The fiances are pre-CUBs. It would cause more confusion than help.

You'd be best using a unit's MLS and making screen shots, blurring and altering data as needed. Done right, a power point slide show can be effective. Especially if you use the mouse pointer to appear to click on the link to take you to the next slide.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:The training database is way out of date at this point. The fiances are pre-CUBs. It would cause more confusion than help.
I missed the Financial Clerk part. I have to agree. The financial side is pretty much useless.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:The financial side is pretty much useless.
The membership side isn't a whole lot better. I think what was the primary is now (or close to) missionary age.

It was a good idea, but not as useful as it would seem. Since these are imaginary people, you don't have a feel for any of the reports.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”