MLS/Windows Security Question

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ericb

MLS/Windows Security Setup Question

Post by ericb »

A question regarding the setup of the Clerk office computer. I would appreciate confirmation if it is at all advisable for non-Clerk ward members using MLS to be setup in Windows to login with a user other than 'clerk' (essentially, use another login that does not have Administrator privileges). The reason for this is to minimize issues related to unapproved Windows installs/changes by well-meaning members. It has been indicated on other help forums that as long as the users are not using the Send/Receive function, they would not need Adminstrator privileges -- I would appreciate an offiicial take on this, thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the instructions that came with Desktop 5.5 are quite clear. That said I'd like to see what the powers that be have to say as well. It does irk me to give all MLS users administrative powers on the computer.

I have found a way to bar even admins from changing the date/time and causing problems with MLS. (It seems some users have found the clock down in the intray doubles as a neat reference calendar. The problem is if they click "OK" instead of cancel, the date in Windows gets changed.)

If there's really a need to correct the date/time, it can be done though the CMOS.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

How did you bar the admins from changing the clock?

Anyway I know that the stake computers have different user names for different people that use the computer. I don't know which desktop they use though.
- David

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”