Birthplace Question

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
johnshaw

Birthplace Question

Post by johnshaw »

Does anyone know how to correctly designate a person being born in Washington DC?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

According to the Standard Finder used in nFS, it's "Washington, District of Columbia, United States "
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Thanks... During this Tithing Settlement, I decided to standardize everyone's Birthplace. I found that many times county was designated, that states were abbreviated, etc... That one I had a hard time figuring out... now of course it seems obvious, thanks.
geek

Post by geek »

jshawut wrote:Thanks... During this Tithing Settlement, I decided to standardize everyone's Birthplace. I found that many times county was designated, that states were abbreviated, etc... That one I had a hard time figuring out... now of course it seems obvious, thanks.
Keep in mind that some cities do NOT have counties associated. Most Virginia cities are considered "independent", as are Baltimore, MD, and at least one other city on our records.

If in doubt look up the city itself (Wikipedia is handy).
Former membership clerk under 3 bishops, now on 2nd stint as executive secretary. Can I go back to teaching priesthood now?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

geek wrote:Keep in mind that some cities do NOT have counties associated. Most Virginia cities are considered "independent", as are Baltimore, MD, and at least one other city on our records.

Also, cities overlap county boundaries in most states, so just knowing the city does not guarantee that the birthplace was in a particular county. And city boundaries often change over time, counties much less frequently.

(In a first-class Virgiinia city, the answer is easy: The city is functionally the same as a county, has its own courthouse, etc., so the city name is also listed as the county.)
opee

NACO Website

Post by opee »

I have found the following WEBSITE helpful in narrowing down a county when correcting membership records.
jwtaber

Post by jwtaber »

RussellHltn wrote:According to the Standard Finder used in nFS, it's "Washington, District of Columbia, United States "
Just a note about the Standard Finder: It has a hard time with (independent) cities and counties in the same state that have the same name. E.g. there is Baltimore City and Baltimore County in Maryland; St. Louis and St. Louis in Missouri, and many (though not all) of the independent cities in Virginia. I've been trying to clean up my PAF file, and every time a place comes up in one of those counties, it tries to lump that place into the independent city.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”