Trying to deactivate a budget category with negative balance from previous years

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
camroncall

Trying to deactivate a budget category with negative balance from previous years

Post by camroncall »

I am a new clerk and my Bishop has asked me to make some changes to the categories we are using in the Budgets. I am interested in deactivating a budget category but I am getting a message that it has a large negative balance from previous years. See the screen shots. I noticed that from 2012-2014, the clerks didn't fill in the allocated budgets on the View/Edit budgets screen. The budget is zero balanced for 2015, but I am guessing that the previous years not having any budget allocations is causing this problem. Editing those previous years budget values to allow the balances to zero out doesn't change the message I am getting when trying to deactivate the account. Any suggestions?
Attachments
YMCamp Category.PNG
(97.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
YWCamp Category.PNG
(102.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Trying to deactivate a budget category with negative balance from previous years

Post by lajackson »

camroncall wrote:I am getting a message that it has a large negative balance from previous years. . . .
Editing those previous years budget values to allow the balances to zero out doesn't change the message I am getting when trying to deactivate the account.
It is not the budget screens, but the actual accounts that need to be returned to zero by transferring funds from other budget accounts.

Looking at the numbers, you have my condolences, unless the funds are in the top-level budget account and just never got transferred to the sub-accounts. Hopefully, that is the case, or this certainly would have received attention from the stake and Church before now.

Once the actual balances are zero, you can hide them so they do not display. They will stay in MLS for the proper financial retention period, then they will go away. (In the U.S., financial records are retained for the current year plus three prior years.)

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”