Calling two secretaries and LDS.org access

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
revs

Calling two secretaries and LDS.org access

Postby revs » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:25 pm

We have a couple of issues where someone has been to help with a presidency and they need to have access to leader resources on LDS.org.

For example we called a young women's leader called to oversee personal progress, and we called an assistant executive secretary to help the bishopric, and a third councilor in the relief society presidency. In all of these cases there is no good way to give them the access needed in MLS to accomplish the calling. There is no way to have two secretaries or two executive secretaries or two second councilors (which would solve many of the problems, another way to solve the issue would be if when a custom calling is in a bishopric or presidency they are given rights associated with that calling just by being a custom calling in that presidency (anyone in the young women presidency should be able to access personal progress for example, and anyone in a bishopric should be able to see temple recommend status), a final way to deal with the problem would be to allow someone either at the unit level, or at the global service center to set a flag on a custom calling to allow them the appropriate access. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

As a bandaid, I gave the real young women's secretary a custom calling (as she doesn't use LDS.org) and moved the personal progress leader into the secretary calling. We are contemplating putting the executive secretary in as an assistant ward clerk, but this gives him more access than he should have.

I would guess that we are not the only unit experiencing these issues.

The new leader and clerk resources is really great aside from this small issue, thank you.

eblood66

Re: Calling two secretaries and LDS.org access

Postby eblood66 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:55 pm

We made our Personal Progress Advisor an advisor in each of the YW clases which gives her access to the Personal Progress information for all young women.

We don't currently have an assistant executive secretary but when we had one in a previous ward we actually asked the stake to called him as an assistant clerk and just gave him responsibilities to help the counselors with the scheduling and tracking interviews.

I don't think there is anything in the handbook that would allow for 3 counselors in the RS. However, there is a standard position of Assistant RS Secretary. That position could be used to provide additional assistance to the RS presidency and I believe that it should provide similar rights as the RS secretary (although I don't know that for certain).

You can certainly submit feedback using the link on any LCR page but I doubt the system will change unless the handbook is changed first. We have been told very definitely that the decisions about who has access to what is made by the general authorities in the Priesthood department and I'm sure there has been considerable thought involved. Decisions about what positions can be entered are decided at the same level.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:26 pm

eblood66 wrote:However, there is a standard position of Assistant RS Secretary. That position could be used to provide additional assistance to the RS presidency and I believe that it should provide similar rights as the RS secretary (although I don't know that for certain).

Yes, assistant Relief Society secretaries have the same access on Leader and Clerk Resources as the Relief Society secretary.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

revs

Postby revs » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:56 am

Good ideas. Thank you.

RodPound

Postby RodPound » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Our Ward has the same issues that are described above... We have an Assistant Executive Secretary which we had to also assign Assistant Ward Clerk (which is not correct) so he could do his calling and now have an Primary Assistant Secretary which has no access to LDS.ORG reports (and no way to fix it.)

In MLS, there was a way to state that a custom calling was a Leader. If that type of feature still existed and would allow for basic access to membership information / reports, it would solve most of our issues.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”