Calling two secretaries and LDS.org access

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
revs

Calling two secretaries and LDS.org access

Post by revs »

We have a couple of issues where someone has been to help with a presidency and they need to have access to leader resources on LDS.org.

For example we called a young women's leader called to oversee personal progress, and we called an assistant executive secretary to help the bishopric, and a third councilor in the relief society presidency. In all of these cases there is no good way to give them the access needed in MLS to accomplish the calling. There is no way to have two secretaries or two executive secretaries or two second councilors (which would solve many of the problems, another way to solve the issue would be if when a custom calling is in a bishopric or presidency they are given rights associated with that calling just by being a custom calling in that presidency (anyone in the young women presidency should be able to access personal progress for example, and anyone in a bishopric should be able to see temple recommend status), a final way to deal with the problem would be to allow someone either at the unit level, or at the global service center to set a flag on a custom calling to allow them the appropriate access. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

As a bandaid, I gave the real young women's secretary a custom calling (as she doesn't use LDS.org) and moved the personal progress leader into the secretary calling. We are contemplating putting the executive secretary in as an assistant ward clerk, but this gives him more access than he should have.

I would guess that we are not the only unit experiencing these issues.

The new leader and clerk resources is really great aside from this small issue, thank you.
eblood66

Re: Calling two secretaries and LDS.org access

Post by eblood66 »

We made our Personal Progress Advisor an advisor in each of the YW clases which gives her access to the Personal Progress information for all young women.

We don't currently have an assistant executive secretary but when we had one in a previous ward we actually asked the stake to called him as an assistant clerk and just gave him responsibilities to help the counselors with the scheduling and tracking interviews.

I don't think there is anything in the handbook that would allow for 3 counselors in the RS. However, there is a standard position of Assistant RS Secretary. That position could be used to provide additional assistance to the RS presidency and I believe that it should provide similar rights as the RS secretary (although I don't know that for certain).

You can certainly submit feedback using the link on any LCR page but I doubt the system will change unless the handbook is changed first. We have been told very definitely that the decisions about who has access to what is made by the general authorities in the Priesthood department and I'm sure there has been considerable thought involved. Decisions about what positions can be entered are decided at the same level.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

eblood66 wrote:However, there is a standard position of Assistant RS Secretary. That position could be used to provide additional assistance to the RS presidency and I believe that it should provide similar rights as the RS secretary (although I don't know that for certain).
Yes, assistant Relief Society secretaries have the same access on Leader and Clerk Resources as the Relief Society secretary.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
revs

Post by revs »

Good ideas. Thank you.
RodPound

Post by RodPound »

Our Ward has the same issues that are described above... We have an Assistant Executive Secretary which we had to also assign Assistant Ward Clerk (which is not correct) so he could do his calling and now have an Primary Assistant Secretary which has no access to LDS.ORG reports (and no way to fix it.)

In MLS, there was a way to state that a custom calling was a Leader. If that type of feature still existed and would allow for basic access to membership information / reports, it would solve most of our issues.
timreynon

Post by timreynon »

Our ward YW Presidency has called someone to help keep track of the personal progress program. I added her as an Assistant Advisor in each of the YW classes and while she was able to view the progress, she was not able to update it or input any new information. The only way I was able to get her the full access she needed was to make her the YW Secretary and create a custom position of YW Secretary for the real Secretary. Unfortunately, they both need access to the system to fulfill their callings and so it would be really helpful if there was a standard position of Assistant Secretary in the YW organization as there are in the RS and Priesthood quorum presidencies. This would allow the YW Assistant Secretary the same access as the Secretary and they both could have access to the information they need to fulfill their callings.
kskitchen

Post by kskitchen »

Our ward has the problem. Called an assistant secretary to help with personal progress in Young Women. Only one secretary can access. Would be helpful for assistant secretaries to have some type of access.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kskitchen wrote:Our ward has the problem. Called an assistant secretary to help with personal progress in Young Women. Only one secretary can access.
That's what happens when you go beyond the callings outlined in the Handbook.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

timreynon wrote:I added her as an Assistant Advisor in each of the YW classes and while she was able to view the progress, she was not able to update it or input any new information.
"Assistant Adviser"? I'm not seeing a calling like that in the Handbook.

However, for the "Ward Young Women Advisers", it does say "They may help record the progress of individual young women in the Personal Progress program." (10.3.4) If that's the calling you're referring to, then I'd send feedback.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelmoosman

Post by michaelmoosman »

There have been several situations arise where it would have been very helpful to have the ability to customize access. I am stake assistant executive secretary. Until recently I had no LCR access. So I was added in the computer to a calling I did not have to get access, which is not correct. We have seen other situations where a member needed regular access to some specific list or report but couldn't get access. What happens in those situations? A person with access will provide the information they need, or they are added to a calling they don't have. But why should we have callings that aren't outlined in the handbook? Nearly every ward has calling not outlined in the handbook because the Lord knows each ward has some individual needs, and each person has individual needs which may result in a custom calling, and need custom access. LCR doesn't know that. I would prefer to minimize administring in the Church so we can focus on ministering.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”