Exporting report results to XLS/CSV?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mikeashfield1991

Exporting report results to XLS/CSV?

Post by mikeashfield1991 »

Hi,

I was recently called to serve the YSA's in my stake, and I had the help of my ward clerk in printing out a list of the YSA's in the ward from MLS. He didn't know a way to get that information into spreadsheet software without typing it from the paper copy.

I want to approach the stake clerk to get a lost of all the YSA's in the stake, as they'll be who I will serve. I want to know before going to ask him, if there is a way for definite that we either can/can't get that information in a format other than printed.

Can anybody help?

Regards,
Mike. :D
davesudweeks

Re: Exporting report results to XLS/CSV?

Post by davesudweeks »

You can still, at this time, export data from a custom report in MLS. PM me if you don't know how to set-up a custom report - I have an instruction sheet I can provide.

After you run the custom report, there is a button at the bottom of the report screen named "Save to File" which exports the custom report information as a .csv text file that can be imported into a spreadsheet application. There should be a spreadsheet application already installed on the Clerk computer (if the set-up is like ours).

This information refers to Ward MLS - I have no experience with Stake MLS, though I suspect it runs the same with respect to custom reports.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mikeashfield1991 wrote:I was recently called to serve the YSA's in my stake,
Just keep in mind that you'll probably find a significant percentage of the "YSA" will in fact in inactive marrieds. They dropped out of church, got married and because they were inactive, the record was never updated.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davesudweeks wrote:This information refers to Ward MLS - I have no experience with Stake MLS, though I suspect it runs the same with respect to custom reports.
You are correct.
mikeashfield1991

davesudweeks wrote:You can still, at this time, export data from a custom report in MLS. PM me if you don't know how to set-up a custom report - I have an instruction sheet I can provide.

After you run the custom report, there is a button at the bottom of the report screen named "Save to File" which exports the custom report information as a .csv text file that can be imported into a spreadsheet application. There should be a spreadsheet application already installed on the Clerk computer (if the set-up is like ours).

This information refers to Ward MLS - I have no experience with Stake MLS, though I suspect it runs the same with respect to custom reports.
Hi,

It would be great if you could send that across (pre-empting he won't know), as it will save time in having to return here to request further info. My email is m.ashfield@mail.com

I did google it quickly, and seems to be a good tool, as will also be able to group the YSA's by ward! (So in effect, it sounds like the list my ward clerk printed; but for every ward, without the need to contact each clerk individually) :)

Mike
mikeashfield1991

davesudweeks wrote:You can still, at this time, export data from a custom report in MLS. PM me if you don't know how to set-up a custom report - I have an instruction sheet I can provide.

Hi,

It would be great if you could send that across (pre-empting he won't know), as it will save time in having to return here to request further info. My email is m.ashfield@mail.com

I did google it quickly, and seems to be a good tool, as will also be able to group the YSA's by ward! (So in effect, it sounds like the list my ward clerk printed; but for every ward, without the need to contact each clerk individually) :)

Mike
russellhltn wrote:
mikeashfield1991 wrote:I was recently called to serve the YSA's in my stake,
Just keep in mind that you'll probably find a significant percentage of the "YSA" will in fact in inactive marrieds. They dropped out of church, got married and because they were inactive, the record was never updated.
Hi Russell,

I did see this problem with the list for my ward, there are YSA's who were LA who have been married recently. The ward clerk knew they got married, but I guess there's more of an emphasis on keeping active member records updated.

I'll work with YSA reps and ward leaders to work through the lists to get in touch with each to see where they're at.

This is why I'm going to need it as a XLS/CSV, so I can make changes in Google Sheets and have people work on it collaboratively. (A worksheet for each ward, accessible by select people from that ward; all sheets accessible by stake leaders. I'm hoping that will work anyway!)

Mike
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mikeashfield1991 wrote:I did see this problem with the list for my ward, there are YSA's who were LA who have been married recently. The ward clerk knew they got married, but I guess there's more of an emphasis on keeping active member records updated.
The problem is getting the information required to update the records. When the member is inactive, they may not be cooperative in giving out that information. There's more than simply checking "married".

If my test install is any indication, all that's needed is a name for the spouse. Just a first name seems to work. MLS complains, but it allows you to continue.

mikeashfield1991 wrote:This is why I'm going to need it as a XLS/CSV, so I can make changes in Google Sheets and have people work on it collaboratively. (A worksheet for each ward, accessible by select people from that ward; all sheets accessible by stake leaders. I'm hoping that will work anyway!)
Keep in mind the information found in the Meetinghouse Technology Policy:
4.9.3 The use of MLS data and membership information in third party software is prohibited, whether obtained from within or outside of a meetinghouse.

4.9.4 The use of cloud-based services for storing and/or backing up MLS or any membership related data is prohibited.
I'd suggest that putting membership information in Google Sheets is a violation of that policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mikeashfield1991

Thanks for all the replies! :)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:If my test install is any indication, all that's needed is a name for the spouse. Just a first name seems to work. MLS complains, but it allows you to continue.
If the person doesn't want to give you a name, a workaround would be to put "Mrs." in the box as the first name. Better than nothing, if it's the best you can do.

I second what was mentioned above about Google Sheets. If you're determined to go that direction, your priesthood leaders are the best resource for drawing the line on what "membership related data" includes where there are gray areas. The policy exists to protect the Church, as well as members' privacy.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”