MLS Test Data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6522
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

MLS Test Data

Postby jdlessley » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:04 pm

jdlessley wrote:I provided step-by-step instructions to the clerk on how to move records out when the new unit and address is known. He had not been entering the new unit nor the member's address since he had never dealt with a move out in this manner. So now I think the records will be sent to the correct ward with no further problem.


Having a copy of MLS available on my home computer with test data sure helps when trying to troubleshoot issues, or in this case provide step-by-step instructions. Before providing the instructions to the clerk he was certain he could only send the records to Salt Lake and not designate the new ward nor the address for the move.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

znauga
New Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Postby znauga » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:32 am

jdlessley wrote:I provided step-by-step instructions to the clerk on how to move records out when the new unit and address is known. He had not been entering the new unit nor the member's address since he had never dealt with a move out in this manner. So now I think the records will be sent to the correct ward with no further problem.

Note: Having a copy of MLS available on my home computer with test data sure helps when trying to troubleshoot issues, or in this case provide step-by-step instructions. Before providing the instructions to the clerk he was certain he could only send the records to Salt Lake and not designate the new ward nor the address for the move.

Thanks for the support everyone!


I agree re having a copy of MLS available on my home computer with test data sure helps when trying to troubleshoot issues. However, I was advised by CHQ that it was against church policy.

Not possible for me regardless because I have Apple, not a PC.

znauga

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Postby Mikerowaved » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:41 am

znauga wrote:...having a copy of MLS available on my home computer with test data ... I was advised by CHQ that it was against church policy.

This is perfectly fine and often encouraged as long as it is TEST data. You are not allowed to have any LIVE data on your home computer. I think CHQ must have been confused by your statement.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:27 am

Mikerowaved wrote:This is perfectly fine and often encouraged as long as it is TEST data. You are not allowed to have any LIVE data on your home computer. I think CHQ must have been confused by your statement.


Well, if you follow [url=http://www.lds.org/Static%20Files/PDF/STS/Troubleshooting%20PDFs/00262_000_Mar05_notice[2].pdf]this link[/url], you find among the roles of the STS "Ensures that ward clerks do not install Church record-keeping software on their home computers". Pretty clear to me. A certain high-placed employee on this forum has stated that it was OK as long as it was test data. That's the rule we've been following since then. But I'm not so sure that's official policy. But then I'm not a "ward" clerk so maybe I'm exempt. :D
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6522
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:27 pm

I am the STS and use the copy installed at home to help others who may have problems with MLS. It is easier to dig into the copy installed at home to troubleshoot before traveling long distances. Most of the time I can help by providing detailed instructions over the phone or e-mail. As the STS I have never been asked by a clerk to install MLS on a personaly owned computer. When problems arrise I expect the clerks to call either me or one of the other stake clerks for assistance. In some cases they have called headquarters clerk support.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:34 pm

RussellHltn wrote:... you find among the roles of the STS "Ensures that ward clerks do not install Church record-keeping software on their home computers". Pretty clear to me.


Unfortunately, that is not a very well written policy. The "ward clerk" restriction is of course quite strange. Why would stake clerks be exempt? That can hardly be the intent.

And I wonder if MLS installed on a home computer is not "record-keeping software" -- it is only record-keeping software if it is used for keeping records, i.e., with live data.

So it may be "pretty clear" to you, but it's anything but clear to me.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20721
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:16 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:And I wonder if MLS installed on a home computer is not "record-keeping software" -- it is only record-keeping software if it is used for keeping records, i.e., with live data.


If a tree falls in the forest ... :D

Seems like a stretch to me. It does say software. And I've never seen software classified by what data set happened to be loaded into it. If I remember correctly, I think most of us kept quiet about having MLS with test data installed at home until it was proclaimed as acceptable here. YMMV.

At any rate, supports' position that it shouldn't be installed at home is defensible given written policy.

But I'd agree that as long as it only contains the test database, it does more good then harm to have it installed at home. As for reconciling the two .....

The bigger issue is that as a STS I wondered how I was supposed to carry out that directive. If something came up such that it came to my attention, that would be one thing. But it's hard to see how I'd be able to enforce anything on personal machines.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6522
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:17 pm

RussellHltn wrote:The bigger issue is that as a STS I wondered how I was supposed to carry out that directive. If something came up such that it came to my attention, that would be one thing. But it's hard to see how I'd be able to enforce anything on personal machines.
Normally, no one should have access to the MLS download site except the STS. Of course it isn't difficult to come up with the user name and password. But with all that aside, I take the directive to mean I, as the STS, should not pass along the MLS install file to anyone for the purpose of installing on any non-administrative computer. That is about as much control as I can expect to have for the purpose of enforcing the policy.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

gpetersen-p40
New Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:47 pm
Location: Sacramento, California, USA

Postby gpetersen-p40 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:18 pm

jdlessley wrote:Normally, no one should have access to the MLS download site except the STS. Of course it isn't difficult to come up with the user name and password.


Not difficult is an understatement since every advance notification of an MLS release is sent to each ward computer with instructions as to where to get the download as well as the username and password. I would like to see the notification limited to the stake computers only.

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:46 am

gpetersen wrote:Not difficult is an understatement since every advance notification of an MLS release is sent to each ward computer with instructions as to where to get the download as well as the username and password. I would like to see the notification limited to the stake computers only.


AMEN.:eek: When I observed that message from CHQ I nearly fell over! I reported it to the GSD and was told that they thought that the message had only gone out to the stakes. I thought I had been mistaking and let it go.

Now someone has confirmed this. I would strongly suggest that the logon password to this site be changed. Any supporters?


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest