One Pc two Windows and two MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:For the adventurous, this is already possible. There is a two-character setting in one of the MLS files. If you edit the file to change the language code, MLS comes up in the new language.

The details are in this post.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

lajackson wrote:For the adventurous, this is already possible. There is a two-character setting in one of the MLS files. If you edit the file to change the language code, MLS comes up in the new language.
I made a VBS (script) that make this work before, I changed also Unit ID to start directly from the right database. This was done because Military branch's clerk doesn't care about Italian Windows version.
Now there is a clerk having some trouble with it, and too much italian using MLS, OpenOffice, ecc. to switch into English Windows version.
So I remove VBScript icon from the Italian Windows Desktop and made the two partitions.

Going back to my question. Are you saying that send/receive must be done after populating database?
Or better, that is impossible to get last data from the far server?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

The Nonstandard Computer Instructions from mls.lds.org contain the following useful notes:

• Do not create Windows non-administrator accounts for anyone who will use MLS, as any attempt to transmit MLS data from a non-administrator account will result in transmission difficulties.
  • If you receive a security failure when using Send/Receive Changes, contact Local Unit Support during business hours to request a reset.

First of all, I am assuming that you are using a fully patched/updated version of Windows XP.

Since you already have a backup of the English unit's database, I would try the following:

1. Completely remove MLS from the English partition.
2. Also remove all files and subfolders from C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS
3. Reboot Windows back into the English Partition.
4. Install the most current version of MLS (2.9.1) BUT DO NOT LOG IN YET.
5. Copy the Dialer.Properties file from the Italian partition at C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS to the equivalent location on the English Partition.

Edit: Hold on a minute! I am assuming that one partition has a drive letter of C: and the other has a drive letter of D: or something else. Your problem might be that MLS is looking for the Dialer.Properties file on the C: partition when it really needs to be looking on D: or what ever drive letter corresponds to the English Partition. This is probably hard coded within MLS meaning there is no way to change it. This might explain why MLS crashes then you try to do a Send/Receive; MLS is trying to access the Dialer.Properties file, can't find it, or the permissions on it won't let it, and so MLS crashes at that point. I can't think of a way to work around that problem.

6. Log in to MLS.
7. Restore the data from your English unit's back up.
8. Try a Send/Receive.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Supposedly, Microsoft's Multilingual User Interface Pack is supposed to eliminate the need for dual booting just for language preferences. It stores the language preference with the user's settings instead of setting them globally for the entire installation. Unfortunately, I can't find out how you would obtain it (if you don't already have it).

With that method, you might be able to create an additional administrator account on the primary partition with an English interface. That way one administrator account uses Italian, and the other administrator account uses English. Both use/share the same version of MLS.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Supposedly, Microsoft's Multilingual User Interface Pack is supposed to eliminate the need for dual booting just for language preferences. It stores the language preference with the user's settings instead of setting them globally for the entire installation.
I'll give it a look!
Thanks a lot.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jbh001 wrote:Supposedly, Microsoft's Multilingual User Interface Pack ...
The MUI Pack is only available through Volume Licensing (VL) programs from Microsoft and I believe the Church just buys the OEM operating systems from the computer vendor(s) and so does not have/need a VL agreement.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:I believe the Church just buys the OEM operating systems from the computer vendor(s) and so does not have/need a VL agreement.
Well, now that's a good question. Yes, all the machines I've seen have the Microsoft sticker on the side which suggests OEM licensing. However, when we load an image such as Desktop 5.5, or the image for FHC machines, it's licensed however the "master" computer was licensed. Seems like the Church owns enough computers that Volume Licensing (VL) could make sense. In fact, when I loaded Win2000 on our FHC machines, I know SLC gave me the licensing info - so they must VL some of it.

I donno - it's just one of those things where I just have faith that the admins in the Church Office Building know what they are doing.

So getting back to the question at hand, it might be VL, or a VL can be obtained. (Swapping hard drives or even getting two machines starts sounding better and better, no?)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Having two Pc was the last final choise.
I think MLS work only in the primary partition (mean C:).

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”