No more MLS exports

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jeremyhanna

Re: No more MLS exports

Post by jeremyhanna »

It's a functionality gap for certain things for sure. For a simple example, I need to prepare a list of boys that are 11-18 as of a certain date. I can't currently do custom reports in LCR. I also can't apparently export the output from a custom report in MLS. For now my workaround is to do some basic sorting in the membership list in LCR and either copying/pasting or printing to PDF, then putting that in excel and further messing with the data there. It will be nice to have some of this in LCR, but we're still in the in-between stage from MLS to LCR.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jeremyhanna wrote:It's a functionality gap for certain things for sure.
Yes, the inability to create a "custom report" based on custom membership criteria is indeed a big gap...please submit feedback (within LCR) to explain what you need to do, how you did it before, and why you can't do it now!
jeremyhanna wrote:...I also can't apparently export the output from a custom report in MLS. For now my workaround...
While you can't export from MLS, the "custom report" features in MLS ARE still available, right? If you print a custom report to a PDF, and copy and paste from that, your workaround works pretty easily. Sure, it adds a step or two... (some reports that were accessing some fields that have been discontinued within MLS won't work any longer if they accessed data no longer stored in MLS- such as anything to do with HT or VT.) I could be wrong, I don't have MLS access anymore.

Remember: send feedback within the tools, so those in the right places can understand the "gaps" in our new tools and fix them!
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:If you print a custom report to a PDF, and copy and paste from that,
Maybe something has changed, but when MLS first came out, it printed as images. So cut and paste wouldn't work for text.

Certain displays will allow you to "copy" from the screen. That may be as good as you're going to get.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

'Custom Reports' has the option to 'Save to File.' This is in a CSV file format. Is this of any use for you?
asethdavis

Post by asethdavis »

I am also having a similar issue. You can still run a custom report in MLS, but it does not update with new members moved in. The data only goes back to somewhere around mid-September. The issue is not the export, the issue is the data. My workaround for now has been to download member data from LCR, but the data is very limited. Where should I provide feedback to make custom reports available on LCR?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

asethdavis wrote:You can still run a custom report in MLS, but it does not update with new members moved in. The data only goes back to somewhere around mid-September.
If you're talking about HT/VT, that would be understandable. The data isn't synchronized back to MLS. But custom reports should work for most everything else.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mdantasf

Post by mdantasf »

Hello, I read about removing the functionality to export data in MLS (File menu), but even going on "Custom Reports", I find some fields already in the EXPORT that existed before the MLS.

These fields are: member id, family id, being a few others. Does anyone know if this will again have the MLS or have an export tool similar data through LDS.org?
smithsor

Post by smithsor »

Actually you can still save an MLS custom report to a .csv file.
Go to Custom Reports
Click on the Report Name blue hyperlink. Don't click on Export in the Report Name row as that will only give you a .mls file type.
The custom report will appear in raw format.
At the bottom click Save to file and it will default to .csv

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”