Transfer from Other to Budget

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I agree that making all transactions as simple as possible and having a clean paper trail is the ideal. After watching the training lesson on the "Other Account" multiple times I still had several questions with what seemed like inconistencies to me. I called Salt Lake and now have a pretty good understanding as to why and how you would deposit monies from the "Other" account into the "Budget" account. I just never bothered to ask if you could do it with one check or would need to write multiple checks just assuming that it would be just the reverse of writing a check out of the budget and charging expenses to two or more categories.

Whatever works and makes the transaction understandible to the auditors is good with me!

And to further answer Kevin's original question - any movement of funds does have to be done by check. MLS will not allow you to transfer between Budget and Other. You can transfer (or move) funds within each account but not from one to the other. It all has to be done by check.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Pilotfly wrote:Whatever works and makes the transaction understandable to the auditors
I think that and the understanding that "Budget" is church funds from the church and "Other" is from other sources (typically members) for specific uses and things don't seem so arcane.

The goal here is to avoid even the appearance of improper mixing of funds. That's done by "containerizing" and limiting the flow between containers. That way the auditors can quickly understand what's going on without looking at every single detail.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”