Mls 2.9.1

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

DJC wrote:MLS 2.9.1 would not have come down automatically to units that tansmitted between the hours of 11:00 and 2:00 P.M. MST, to make sure that the load would not cause any problems with normal transmissions. Any attempts to connect outside this time should pull the patch down.
Thanks for the clarification. Although I did several transmissions yesterday, they were all in that time window, so that explains why the update did not get downloaded.

However, it seems that we should receive an MLS message telling us of the new release. Otherwise, it could be that we do our S/R during that time window, perhaps several weeks in a row, and never have any idea that there is a new release. For people not tuned into this forum, how are they supposed to know there is a new release?
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

There should have been a message for the two previous Sundays stating that units would be receiving MLS 2.9.1. Hopefully you received that. We didn't know that we would need to turn the patch off from 11 to 2; however, or we would have included that in the message.

It is a small patch compared to most releases.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

DJC wrote:There should have been a message for the two previous Sundays stating that units would be receiving MLS 2.9.1. Hopefully you received that.

No, we received no messages at all regarding MLS 2.9.1. I just double checked to be sure. We are a stake installation; I don't know if that made any difference. But you may want to check the communication mechanism; perhaps my stake was an isolated case, but the message delivery failure may have been more widespread.

Perhaps others on the forum can chime in -- did you receive MLS messages informing you of the imminent download of MLS 2.9.1? Are you a ward or a stake?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:No, we received no messages at all regarding MLS 2.9.1. I just double checked to be sure. We are a stake installation; I don't know if that made any difference. But you may want to check the communication mechanism; perhaps my stake was an isolated case, but the message delivery failure may have been more widespread.

Perhaps others on the forum can chime in -- did you receive MLS messages informing you of the imminent download of MLS 2.9.1? Are you a ward or a stake?
No message received on our stake MLS messaging for the 2.9.1 update.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:No, we received no messages at all regarding MLS 2.9.1.
Perhaps others on the forum can chime in --
Nothing received at our stake.

Nothing received at my home ward.
"Why are you here?"
"To load MLS 2.9.1 so you do not have to download it today."
"Really? When did they release it?"
"Friday."
"Nice of them to tell us."
"You have already heard my stories on that subject."

Nothing received at the other ward in my home ward building.
"We got a surprise download today and were not given the option to refuse it."
"What a deal. You are so special. How long did it take to download?"
"Not long. But you would not have had time to install it anyway. Your sacrament meeting is about to start and we need to finish our deposit."
"Glad to help."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:Perhaps others on the forum can chime in -- did you receive MLS messages informing you of the imminent download of MLS 2.9.1? Are you a ward or a stake?
I was replacing our stake machine last week (Another GX270 bites the dust). When I did a send receive, I got a *pop-up* message that indicated that 2.9.1 had been delayed. Note this was a pop-up during send-receive, not a "email" style message. I printed it out and left it behind. Off the top of my head I don't remember it saying when it would be released - I only remember it had been delayed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Mikerowaved wrote: ...
It's the last item I would like to address. I have some financial institutions with the same name, but different mailing addresses that I occasionally send checks to from the FO fund, so I leave the address fields blank. The same applies to LDS Family Services. It depends on which facility a member attends as to where a check would be sent. Since they can't have identical names in the payee database, do I call them "LDS Family Services 1", "LDS Family Services 2", and so on? That would look pretty funny printed on the check. The only solution I see would be to change the address on-the-fly each time a check needs to be printed.
If I'm understanding correctly, that MLS now requires something, anything, either pre-defined or entered on-the-fly, as an address, and if what you would really like to do is leave it blank, how about a pre-defined address consisting of just a couple of small punctuation characters? Maybe, a dot or two, or maybe a line of underscores would be sufficient to fool the test for something as an address. Three of four lines of underscores might even be useful as a hand-writing guide.

Hope that helps.
bhm014

New update

Post by bhm014 »

Yesterday I clicked on the S/R in my stake (Papeari, tahiti) and after the transmission I got a message about the update 2.9.1 saying that the computer needed to be restarted right away for the update to take effect, so I did. Everything went smoothly.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I got the update during a S/R on Saturday.
rmrichesjr wrote:...how about a pre-defined address consisting of just a couple of small punctuation characters?
Yup. Any single character works. On one blank addressed check I just used a period on each line.

I don't want to suggest bypassing what's been put in place, but sometimes researching an address can take more time than you are given to print it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RussellHltn wrote:I was replacing our stake machine last week (Another GX270 bites the dust). When I did a send receive, I got a *pop-up* message that indicated that 2.9.1 had been delayed. Note this was a pop-up during send-receive, not a "email" style message. I printed it out and left it behind. Off the top of my head I don't remember it saying when it would be released - I only remember it had been delayed.
Here's the exact message:
Subject: MLS 2.9.1 Delayed

We have produced new member and Leader services (MLS)
software, version 2.9.1. This new version has already been
field tested and will be sent down to your computer in the
next week. MLS 2.9.1 has some minor bug fixes but no
major feature changes.

Start next weekend, this patch will be offered to your unit
for download option. We anticipate that the download will be
approximately 5-10 minutes over a dial-up connection. MLS
2.9.1 will also be available at <http://mls.lds.org>, if you
would like to download it (the password is xxxxxxxx). This was
scheduled to be released this week, but field testing
found a few small issues that were fixed for the release
next week.

Thank You.
"Starting next weekend" (which is now this past weekend), so I guess they did tell us when it would happen.

I did a s/r tonight. Got a connection of 54.6Kbps and it took 10.5 minutes, plus processing afterward.

As someone else mentioned - it just went. There was no option.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”