Unit Numbers

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sjellis9
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Unit Numbers

Postby sjellis9 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:19 pm

Where do I go online to find unit numbers for Wards and Stakes outside my local boundaries?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15032
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: Unit Numbers

Postby aebrown » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:25 pm

sjellis9 wrote:Where do I go online to find unit numbers for Wards and Stakes outside my local boundaries?

If you're a clerk, or in a bishopric or stake presidency, then you can use CDOL. If not, you probably don't need unit numbers.

It's rare that you would need such unit numbers; about the only valid reason I can think of is when you create a payee or donor in MLS for "another unit". If it's a "donor" then you probably have a check in hand from that unit, and the check will have their unit number on it. If it's a payee, then you might need to look it up.

sjellis9
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Unit Numbers

Postby sjellis9 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:29 pm

We had a family from out of our unit bless a baby in our ward. When I fill out the required information (baby resides outside of our unit) there is a field for entering the unit numbers (Ward and Stake). Where in CDOL can I find the required unit numbers?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15032
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: Unit Numbers

Postby aebrown » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:37 pm

sjellis9 wrote:We had a family from out of our unit bless a baby in our ward. When I fill out the required information (baby resides outside of our unit) there is a field for entering the unit numbers (Ward and Stake). Where in CDOL can I find the required unit numbers?

You can search for the ward by name using the search field in the upper right corner. Or if you know the bishop's name, you can change the radio button under the search field from "Organization" to "Leader" and search for him. Once you find the ward, you can find the stake's unit number by following the stake link from the ward information (which is called "Parent" under "Associated Organizations").

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Unit Numbers

Postby sbradshaw » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:35 pm

You can also use the LDS.org maps tool to get unit numbers. Just search for the ward or stake name. If there are multiple results, click on the name of the correct ward or stake. Then, go to the URL and look for the number that follows "&find=ward:" or "&find=stake:". This is the unit number.

For me, the unit number also shows up next to the name of the ward or stake when I am logged in, but that feature might depend on your calling.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

cad5
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Re: Unit Numbers

Postby cad5 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 pm

I just discovered a reason why a member needs to know the unit number for a ward or branch. I have a son who is serving as a full-time missionary. We were living in one ward, and the stake created a new ward, and for which our neighborhood is in the new ward boundaries. I went online to pay for my son's monthly missionary fee, and he is not showing as a missionary serving from the newly formed ward. My guess is he's still showing in the former ward prior to the stake creating this new ward (it was created over a month ago). If I knew the former ward's unit number I'm sure I could enter it, find his name, and make his monthly payment. I don't know the unit number. It would be nice if there was a way to enter the former ward name and number and pick the missionary for which a payment needs to be made, or enter the missionary's name and select it while adding in payment, or it would also be nice if his name was showing correctly as a missionary serving in the new ward that was created.

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2531
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Unit Numbers

Postby eblood66 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:17 pm

cad5 wrote:If I knew the former ward's unit number I'm sure I could enter it, find his name, and make his monthly payment.

Finding a unit's number isn't hard anymore. Just go to the Meetinghouse Locator at https://maps.lds.org, search for the ward by name and then click on the entry for the correct result. The unit number is displayed immediately after the unit name in the information box on the right.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Unit Numbers

Postby sbradshaw » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:29 pm

eblood66 wrote:
cad5 wrote:If I knew the former ward's unit number I'm sure I could enter it, find his name, and make his monthly payment.

Finding a unit's number isn't hard anymore. Just go to the Meetinghouse Locator at https://maps.lds.org, search for the ward by name and then click on the entry for the correct result. The unit number is displayed immediately after the unit name in the information box on the right.

The unit number shows up next to the ward name in the Meetinghouse Locator only if you're signed in with your LDS Account.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 22847
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Unit Numbers

Postby russellhltn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:45 pm

cad5 wrote:My guess is he's still showing in the former ward prior to the stake creating this new ward (it was created over a month ago).

FYI, the ward responsible for a missionary DOESN'T automatically change when the parents move. The bishop or ward clerk will need to call CHQ to get it changed.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests