Requesting Records

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ToponceKC

Requesting Records

Post by ToponceKC »

I am the 2nd councilor in the bishopric. I find it interesting I can request a membership record in the traditional MLS but when I go into the churches web site. Put in my LDS password and go to the clerk and leader resources I don't have the rights to request a membership. Please tell me this is just an oversight they are working on. It makes no sense that a member of the bishopric cannot request a membership.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Requesting Records

Post by aebrown »

toponcekc wrote:I am the 2nd councilor in the bishopric. I find it interesting I can request a membership record in the traditional MLS but when I go into the churches web site. Put in my LDS password and go to the clerk and leader resources I don't have the rights to request a membership. Please tell me this is just an oversight they are working on. It makes no sense that a member of the bishopric cannot request a membership.
This exact question was discussed previously; see in particular this post.
ToponceKC

Post by ToponceKC »

I love the hand book and the direction it gives. It also says in the hand book you can direct by the spirit. I have been in places where they do not have enough brethren to have all the clerks. in that case it was useful for a councilor to assist with that effort. We happen to be in that boat.There have been several occasions when the clerk may not be available to make the request. It is nice to have that right. Some times I think we need to look at what will move the work forward. I am still confused on why I can sign a temple recommend but not have the proper clearance to make a simple record request. How hard is it to ask someone if this can be an exception. Or is that not an option. If MLS is going to be done mostly on line in the future we need to have some logic to it not just job description. This is just an opinion of course. If the presiding bishopric likes it this way, I have held my hand to the square and will follow. But has anyone asked if it could be different.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

toponcekc wrote:I love the hand book and the direction it gives. It also says in the hand book you can direct by the spirit. I have been in places where they do not have enough brethren to have all the clerks. in that case it was useful for a councilor to assist with that effort. We happen to be in that boat.
In the discussion to which aebrown pointed, there is a post providing one example a branch and stake used in this circumstance.
toponcekc wrote:How hard is it to ask someone if this can be an exception. . . . has anyone asked if it could be different.
The requirements are set by presiding priesthood leaders, which is why LCR adheres closely to the Handbook. If a local leader feels that a suggestion is valid, the process would be for him to discuss it with his stake president, and then for the stake president to visit with his Area Authority who would visit with the area president or the assigned member of the Presidency of the Seventy. Presiding priesthood leaders listen to those who report to them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

toponcekc wrote:I have been in places where they do not have enough brethren to have all the clerks. in that case it was useful for a councilor to assist with that effort. We happen to be in that boat.There have been several occasions when the clerk may not be available to make the request. It is nice to have that right.
And in that situation, it might be appropriate, after consultation with the stake, to have assistant clerk calling added for you. That would give you the rights you seek.
toponcekc wrote:I am still confused on why I can sign a temple recommend
Only for renewals. And I'm having a hard time understanding what one has to do with the other.

Keep in mind that your situation is not the norm, so it strikes me as questionable to make that available for ALL units. Especially when there is a work-around by adding a calling when needed.

"Too many cooks in the kitchen" can also hinder the work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

toponcekc wrote:I have been in places where they do not have enough brethren to have all the clerks. in that case it was useful for a councilor to assist with that effort. We happen to be in that boat.There have been several occasions when the clerk may not be available to make the request.
I think the answer in that case is to see if the stake will call you as an assistant ward clerk as well (without specific responsibility). If they approve, then you can be entered as a clerk and have those rights.
toponcekc wrote:I am still confused on why I can sign a temple recommend but not have the proper clearance to make a simple record request.
I think it's a matter of stewardship. As a councilor you have a stewardship relating to spiritual worthiness but not a stewardship over records. A clerk has a stewardship over maintaining records but not spiritual worthiness. Those without a stewardship don't have rights. I'm not a clerk anymore so I don't have that stewardship anymore and so I can't help out in my current ward even though I know how to do it and I'm just as worthy as I was before. Similarly, as a councilor you don't have that stewardship so you can't help out either. The fact you can do it in MLS is really just an accident of how the course grain rights in MLS are structured.
toponcekc wrote:How hard is it to ask someone if this can be an exception. Or is that not an option.
Do you mean a general exception to the handbook? lajackson's comment addresses that. Or do you mean an exception for your unit? There is no facility for overriding rights on a unit specific basis (except to issue a calling as a clerk as I mentioned above).
ToponceKC

Post by ToponceKC »

I get it. All is well. Sorry I caused so much issue. I thought this was were we could ask a question and then it might go up line from there for someone to help or resolve the issue. We will get by. Have a great day.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

toponcekc wrote:I get it. All is well. Sorry I caused so much issue. I thought this was were we could ask a question and then it might go up line from there for someone to help or resolve the issue. We will get by. Have a great day.
This is simply a user forum.
Have you tried submitting feedback using the Feedback link on lds.org?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”