Unit Refresh failed

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jokamura

Unit Refresh failed

Post by jokamura »

Our situation is similar to this one: http://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19688# but different in that we do have some standard callings, but others do not.

We're currently using a new computer with a new installation of MLS. I believe it's 3.7.3? Our STS couldn't figure out how to fix our old computer and/or MLS (thinking it had a virus), so we started with new everything.

Through the forums and wiki I fixed the DB error on the old computer, but now we just use it for the old data. Our Bishop and Stake President do not want to mix the old data (it's been too long since it was updated anyway) with the new data, so that's not a viable option.

Right now, the only callings that are actually in MLS correctly are Bishopric, EQ, and RS. We can't enter the HP in standard callings, there is no add button for YM or YW. We don't have a technology category or mission group category. Basically we've been in a "half-state" since early this year when there was a boundary realignment and our ward was accidentally deleted instead of merged with the ward that was being done away with.

On Sunday, we attempted a unit refresh to no luck. Last night I requested a calling refresh to no luck. Any other ideas we could try to get our categories and callings back? Especially since a lot of the functionality of MLS is moving to LCR. And I definitely want the quorum and auxiliary presidencies to take full advantage of LCR.

Oh, I did have the Ward Executive Secretary log in to CDOL to check if any of our callings were there and it was empty. I don't know if he's ever used it and I've never seen the interface before, but it looked pretty empty to me. Might need to ask him to do it again on Sunday so we can be sure of what we're looking at. Beyond the wiki steps of requesting a refresh, checking CDOL, etc...not sure what else we can do.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
"Accept what you can't change, and change what you can't accept, but know the difference between the two."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Unit Refresh failed

Post by russellhltn »

jokamura wrote:Through the forums and wiki I fixed the DB error on the old computer, but now we just use it for the old data. Our Bishop and Stake President do not want to mix the old data (it's been too long since it was updated anyway) with the new data, so that's not a viable option.
I'd use something like DDAN to wipe the hard drive.

jokamura wrote:Basically we've been in a "half-state" since early this year when there was a boundary realignment and our ward was accidentally deleted instead of merged with the ward that was being done away with.
Has that been corrected? I'm sure that will have to be fixed before anything will work.

At this point I'd contact Local Unit Support to get things straightened out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jokamura

Post by jokamura »

russellhltn wrote:
jokamura wrote:Through the forums and wiki I fixed the DB error on the old computer, but now we just use it for the old data. Our Bishop and Stake President do not want to mix the old data (it's been too long since it was updated anyway) with the new data, so that's not a viable option.
I'd use something like DDAN to wipe the hard drive.
Eventually the Stake will take the old computer and use it for something else. Right now, we just use it for the old HT/VT data, since we got a new computer.
russellhltn wrote:
jokamura wrote:Basically we've been in a "half-state" since early this year when there was a boundary realignment and our ward was accidentally deleted instead of merged with the ward that was being done away with.
Has that been corrected? I'm sure that will have to be fixed before anything will work.

At this point I'd contact Local Unit Support to get things straightened out.
They did restore our ward, but we had to manually add in what callings we could as well as membership data.

If nothing has been updated (due to the multiple unit refreshes) by Sunday, I'll suggest the clerk call LUS and see if they can't straighten this out during the week.

Our ward is slowly embracing technology and I'd hate for this seemingly-endless issue to discourage them from pushing forward with learning as much as they can about the tools the Lord has provided for us.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions russellhltn, it's greatly appreciated!
"Accept what you can't change, and change what you can't accept, but know the difference between the two."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Silly question, but are you sure it's even connecting to CHQ? If it didn't, I'd expect an error message of some kind.

A couple of possibilities: It's set for "modem" when the new computer doesn't have one or it's not connected. It needs a security reset (not uncommon when switching computers.)

Also, make sure you're checking off at least "all lists":
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jokamura

Post by jokamura »

russellhltn wrote:Silly question, but are you sure it's even connecting to CHQ? If it didn't, I'd expect an error message of some kind.
Not a silly question at all, though I know MLS is connected because I can send and update things from CHQ like the limited amount of callings we can enter (I've added another Assistant Secretary for EQ, as well as a few custom callings which show up on lds.org), finance data, move members in/out (I've successfully moved out a member or two in the past month), changed/updated member information like phone number or email, etc. Unless the Unit Refresh uses another protocol to connect? Then I'd definitely need to check lol!
russellhltn wrote:A couple of possibilities: It's set for "modem" when the new computer doesn't have one or it's not connected. It needs a security reset (not uncommon when switching computers.)
This is definitely something worth double checking.
russellhltn wrote:Also, make sure you're checking off at least "all lists":
That image looks like it came from a Stake MLS? The one I saw just had our ward and the other check boxes. We checked everything, but nothing so far. I'll head down to the chapel to turn the computer on and do a few send/receives just to nudge the system a bit and double check all the network settings.

Haha this is going to be super funny if it's trying to connect via a modem and that was the issue all this time. :eek:
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

If you are only dealing with callings and are on MLS 3.7.3, I would request calling refresh data instead of requesting unit refresh data. Unit refresh data generates both a CMIS and a CDOL refresh. Calling refresh data generates only a CDOL refresh, which is all you need if working with callings and there isn't a concern about updating membership.
jokamura

Post by jokamura »

Okay, so I tried to update a few callings in Sunday School (Assistant Librarian, Sunday School Teacher, Gospel Doctrine Teacher) and lds.org displayed the Gospel Doctrine Teacher calling, but not the other two.

Now, when I check MLS, all three callings have disappeared. I'll do another callings refresh, but at this point, I'm at a loss.

Below you'll find two images of what I'm talking about in MLS. The leadership callings are non-existent, but the other callings are there.
Sunday School Leadership.PNG
(25.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sunday School Other.PNG
(38.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”