Multiple Windows accounts

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
drepouille

Multiple Windows accounts

Post by drepouille »

My stake will be receiving new computers over the next few months. I am assuming that MLS will work for multiple Windows users. I would like to create one Windows account for the bishopric (including clerks and secretary), and another account for other members of the ward. I will also create a stake clerk account. The stake account and the bishopric account will be Windows administrators, but the other will be a standard user.

I hope MLS will work for everyone in this configuration. My goal is to isolate and protect sensitive and confidential documents from the eyes of auxiliary secretaries and leaders. Despite my efforts to get clerks to save such documents to a flash drive, which may be secured, I find that most prefer to just save them to the hard drive, where they are visible to anyone who uses the computer.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
1historian

Re: Multiple Windows accounts

Post by 1historian »

If a user (such as a secretary) leaves MLS open but not logged in and then a different user (such as a clerk)goes to log in they wont be able to open MLS until they either restart the computer or the user logs in and closes the program entirely. when they double click to open it they wont get an error message or anything it will either flash the startup screen or nothing will happen at all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Despite my efforts to get clerks to save such documents to a flash drive, which may be secured, I find that most prefer to just save them to the hard drive, where they are visible to anyone who uses the computer.
At one time that was expressly prohibited by policy, but I'm not able to find that now.

1historian wrote:until they either restart the computer
I have to wonder if that wouldn't corrupt the MLS files.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
drepouille wrote:Despite my efforts to get clerks to save such documents to a flash drive, which may be secured, I find that most prefer to just save them to the hard drive, where they are visible to anyone who uses the computer.
At one time that was expressly prohibited by policy, but I'm not able to find that now.
Try Handbook 1, 13.8, which says that electronic information must be secured by a password.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Try Handbook 1, 13.8, which says that electronic information must be secured by a password.
Too weak. As long as the Windows account has a password, I doubt if you could change anyone's mind with that.

I was talking about language where it couldn't be saved to the hard drive at all.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I believe "secured by a password" is referring to a document password imposed when the document is saved, not a login password known by half the church membership. But that's just my interpretation.

For further clarification, I would recommend combining HB1 13.9.1 that says sensitive data should be kept locked in a drawer or cabinet, with Meetinghouse Technology Policy 4.5.4, which states, "There should be no expectation of privacy regarding the use of Church computers."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mikerowaved wrote:I believe "secured by a password" is referring to a document password imposed when the document is saved, not a login password known by half the church membership. But that's just my interpretation.
That's certainly one interpretation, but without a Stake President's interpretation, I don't know as you could use that to convince someone they are in the wrong.

The "Policies and Guidelines for Computers Used by Clerks for Church Record Keeping" (2009) is still listed in the Official Communication Library. The "Meetinghouse Technology Policy" doesn't say it supersedes anything. The 2009 policy says "Other confidential files should not be stored on the hard drive. They should be saved on external media and locked in storage when not in use." This is the language I was searching for. No wiggle room there, but I'd prefer to find it in a more current write-up.

Document-level passwords may or may not encrypt the document. Some only lock it and are easily defeated. Of course, if it's named "Brother Brown's Disciplinary Council", document level encryption is of limited help.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”