MLS transmission: Internet or Modem?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
daynajacobs

MLS transmission: Internet or Modem?

Post by daynajacobs »

This might be a silly question, but does MLS transmit over the internet or over a modem? In other words, if a unit is having internet problems will they still be able to transmit? Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MLS transmission: Internet or Modem?

Post by russellhltn »

In theory, it can go either way. However, in my experience, once a OptiPlex 740 gets connected to the network and gets all the updates - it can't work via modem any more. I just installed some new machines - they didn't come with modems.

And last, there is a setting in the System Options. It controls if MLS uses the network, modem or "automatic".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: MLS transmission: Internet or Modem?

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:In theory, it can go either way. However, in my experience, once a OptiPlex 740 gets connected to the network and gets all the updates - it can't work via modem any more. I just installed some new machines - they didn't come with modems.
That's my experience, too. Before the last round of updated computers, I had the MLS set up to use modems as a backup transmission mechanism, and we used it more than once when we had Internet problems with our ISP. But now the new computers have no modem, so we no longer have that backup. Gratefully, the outages are becoming quite rare, so we don't really need it.
russellhltn wrote:And last, there is a setting in the System Options. It controls if MLS uses the network, modem or "automatic".
To be specific, these are "Dialer Options" on the "System" tab under System Options. The choices are "Use Modem", "Use Internet" and "Auto Detect". If your computer doesn't have a modem, set it to "Use Internet".

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”