Exporting a directory from MLS?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
1968leocomeeatabite

Exporting a directory from MLS?

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

We at one time were able to export a directory from MLS. Put into Excel and manipulate it how we wanted. Can one still do this? Or has the on-line (lds-tools on lds.org) replaced that functionality?

Also I really like the "Directory of Members" format on MLS. Can we export this format and manipulate it?

We have a new ward, with new boundaries. It is desirable to publish (printed) a directory with full family names, with household contact & individual contact (18 & up). Again it looks like to me the Directory of members would do this best. But would need to manipulate the phone numbers and e-mail of those under 18 years of age.

Can anyone give me some direction on how to get that "Directory of Members" (from MLS) into a format that can be manipulated?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Exporting a directory from MLS?

Post by russellhltn »

On caution about publishing a directory. MLS is unaware of people's requests to hide their information from other ward members. You may encounter some unhappy members if you publish something for general distribution when they have gone to the trouble of requesting privacy.

The other problem with publishing a directory, sooner or later people will ask for a update. You've just trapped yourself into a new project.

On a whole, I think it might be wise to direct members to what is available on-line and ask the home teacher/visiting teachers to print-off what on-line for those who do not have computers or personal devices.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

russellhltn wrote:On caution about publishing a directory. MLS is unaware of people's requests to hide their information from other ward members. You may encounter some unhappy members if you publish something for general distribution when they have gone to the trouble of requesting privacy.
Thank you this could have been a sticky mess.
The other problem with publishing a directory, sooner or later people will ask for a update. You've just trapped yourself into a new project.
In the past I have tried this and encouraged this without much success. We were mostly a baby boomer ward with our brothers starting to go into retirement (I have been retired 2 years) or pre-retirement stage. They all bock at not having a directory to look at. We now have gone through a boundary change and have more young people in the ward. So I think it wise to produce a nice full directory (without sensitive or private info) to help the ward become acquainted, with a statement that this is the last printed directory the ward will publish. Then get the bishopric to support the promotion and education of the lds.org-online-directory.
On a whole, I think it might be wise to direct members to what is available on-line and ask the home teacher/visiting teachers to print-off what on-line for those who do not have computers or personal devices.
I agree that ultimately this is the answer.
1968leocomeeatabite

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Can anyone give me some direction on how to get that "Directory of Members" (from MLS) into a format that can be manipulated?
I am only aware of that format being on MLS. Can it be exported? Does anyone know of it being anywhere else?

What kind of resources are available in designing a ward directory to be published as hard copies, with manipulation?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:So I think it wise to produce a nice full directory (without sensitive or private info) to help the ward become acquainted, with a statement that this is the last printed directory the ward will publish. Then get the bishopric to support the promotion and education of the lds.org-online-directory.
You might consider doing what one of the wards in our stake just did: They printed a directory with nice color photos and distributed it to the ward members. But the trick is their technique: they simply used the Directory on LDS.org. They went to the Households list and clicked Print, then checked all the boxes except for Full Address (Ward Leadership, household photos, phone number, email address, street address, individual details, and children). I think they put it in 4 columns. You could reduce the printing cost by using black and white photos, or eliminating the photos altogether.

This approach has multiple benefits:
  • In order to generate the directory this way, all the information you collect (phone numbers, email addresses, photos) has to be put into the online Directory, which means that updated information will be available for many other purposes.
  • It completely respects all the privacy settings, whether for an entire household, or for any piece of data within a household/individual (whoever generates the directory has to make sure that the box for "Members with Private Profiles" is NOT checked).
  • It teaches people that they can do this themselves. When you cut the apron strings and quit printing a directory for them, they'll know exactly what they're getting and it's easy to teach them how to do it.
  • It's a lot less work -- no playing with exports, reformatting, etc.
1968leocomeeatabite

Hmmmm--- This sounds like just what we want. I think I will have some questions for you, but I will play with it 1st so that I understand better. Thank you. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:checked all the boxes except for Full Address (Ward Leadership, household photos, phone number, email address, street address, individual details, and children).
Isn't there a box for personal info that would have to be set properly so that a bishopric member wouldn't print stuff the general membership couldn't see?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

Isn't there a box for personal info that would have to be set properly so that a bishopric member wouldn't print stuff the general membership couldn't see?
Yes, it is "Members with Private Profiles" the bottom Check on details.
Thanks
1968leocomeeatabite

aebrown wrote:
You might consider doing what one of the wards in our stake just did: They printed a directory with nice color photos and distributed it to the ward members. But the trick is their technique: they simply used the Directory on LDS.org. They went to the Households list and clicked Print, then checked all the boxes except for Full Address (Ward Leadership, household photos, phone number, email address, street address, individual details, and children). I think they put it in 4 columns. You could reduce the printing cost by using black and white photos, or eliminating the photos altogether.
This approach has multiple benefits:
  • In order to generate the directory this way, all the information you collect (phone numbers, email addresses, photos) has to be put into the online Directory, which means that updated information will be available for many other purposes.
  • It completely respects all the privacy settings, whether for an entire household, or for any piece of data within a household/individual (whoever generates the directory has to make sure that the box for "Members with Private Profiles" is NOT checked).
  • It teaches people that they can do this themselves. When you cut the apron strings and quit printing a directory for them, they'll know exactly what they're getting and it's easy to teach them how to do it.
  • It's a lot less work -- no playing with exports, reformatting, etc.
This is very positive I think that it also teaches them that if something is missing they better get it in there and update it.
Thank you for the tip!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”