Finding recently returned missionaries new to stake

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
richhag

Finding recently returned missionaries new to stake

Post by richhag »

In discussions about plans for strengthening RMs, a stake president wondered if there is a way to know when an individual transfers into their stake, if that individual is a recently returned missionary. I.e., right now, we know someone is an RM because she or he returned from the mission field to our stake. But, if a young adult shows up new to our stake, we wouldn’t know it unless we were informed by the prior unit. Is that right? Is there a way to find out who in the stake is a recently returned missionary, if those individuals did not return to that stake?
Thank you.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Finding recently returned missionaries new to stake

Post by aebrown »

richhag wrote:In discussions about plans for strengthening RMs, a stake president wondered if there is a way to know when an individual transfers into their stake, if that individual is a recently returned missionary. I.e., right now, we know someone is an RM because she or he returned from the mission field to our stake. But, if a young adult shows up new to our stake, we wouldn’t know it unless we were informed by the prior unit. Is that right? Is there a way to find out who in the stake is a recently returned missionary, if those individuals did not return to that stake?
The Missionary Online Recommendation System at lds.org/mss will show all missionaries whose membership records are in the stake. Missionaries with any status in the system will be listed, including missionaries who have returned from their missions. Our stake's list seems to indicate that returned missionaries remain on that list for about 2 years.
richhag

Post by richhag »

Does that include recent RMs who did not leave from our stake to go on their mission, or who did not return to our stake, but transferred into our stake, say, 6 months after finishing their mission?
Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

richhag wrote:Does that include recent RMs who did not leave from our stake to go on their mission, or who did not return to our stake, but transferred into our stake, say, 6 months after finishing their mission?
I can't say for certain, since our stake doesn't have anyone in that category. But I do know that we had a sister move into one of the wards in our stake whose mission application status was "Postponed Mission Start Date" and even that unusual record immediately appeared in the missionary system as soon as her record moved into our stake. So I'm assuming that the same would be true of returned missionaries -- but I don't know for sure.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”