MLS 3.7.2

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: MLS 3.7.2

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:I looked at the logs and see something unusual with that unit. There isn't anything on your end -- it just looks like the patches weren't transferring correctly. Now I go a-digging.
Well, if it happened to us, it may have happened to a few others, as well. If there is anything you would like us to do to help, let me know. That unit is my home ward, so it is fairly accessible for me.

The phone call yesterday identified that unit as the only one in the stake that had not upgraded to 3.7.2, and that unit has been the longest without a fresh install from the main exe. I have learned over the years that a fresh overwrite of the complete program seems to solve a lot of little problems.

I noticed while I was there that they did receive the message this week letting them know they needed to upgrade. I expect that they would have tagged me Sunday, since they regularly Send/Receive, and that wasn't doing it.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:Well, if it happened to us, it may have happened to a few others, as well. If there is anything you would like us to do to help, let me know. That unit is my home ward, so it is fairly accessible for me.
That's what we're checking. We occasionally see situations where the patches aren't transferred to a unit and are hoping this might give us a clue why that occasionally happens.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: MLS 3.7.3

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:
lajackson wrote:Church headquarters called today to let us know that the unit had not upgraded to MLS 3.7.2 and that their quarterly report would be wrong if they did not upgrade, so I went over this evening while I was doing interviews, snagged the latest from the website, and loaded it over the old version.
I looked at the logs and see something unusual with that unit. There isn't anything on your end -- it just looks like the patches weren't transferring correctly. Now I go a-digging.
Well, how did the digging go? Our stake president just got the email for that same unit that they are the only ones in our stake who have not upgraded to MLS 3.7.3 and they Send/Receive several times a week.

Since MLS has become more dependable, I don't make it a habit to run around to all the units and see if they upgraded, but this is the second time our stake president has gotten first notice of a problem.

Maybe I need to change my travel schedule. [smile]

I just got off the phone with Local Unit Support. They tried a few things, including several Send/Receives. No luck. I am headed to the site to manually download the update, and I will make a note to visit this unit again when the next version of MLS becomes available.

Hope you are able to find something in the meantime. Thanks.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I wasn't able to pin anything down, but this gives me a little more to work with.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:I wasn't able to pin anything down, but this gives me a little more to work with.
If there is anything more I can do to help, please let me know. I see there may be another crack at it fairly soon since MLS 3.7.4 is in limited beta. I'll watch for the formal release when it comes, and monitor the unit that is having problems so we won't be so late getting the upgrade.

Thanks again for all you are doing.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson, I've isolated what is happening for this unit. I haven't been able to dig into the code to find out why it is happening, but I've added a task to the backlog to fix the issue. It probably won't be fixed for MLS 3.7.4. (The issue is in a system other than MLS, but isn't likely to be fixed before MLS 3.7.4 is released.) I can save you the trouble and tell you this unit will need to be updated manually. :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:I've isolated what is happening for this unit.
Noted. Thank you very much. I will plan on a manual update when 3.7.4 comes out if it doesn't automatically update within a few days.

I really appreciate you looking into this for us. Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Thanks for the MLS Support

Post by lajackson »

I just wanted to post a follow up here to let folks know that scgallafent has been working behind the scenes with me to troubleshoot the problem where MLS software did not update automatically. He and I have been trading notes and, mostly through his efforts and our doing a lot of Send/Receives, he has been able to find a way to correct the problem.

This is significant for two reasons. First, there are others with the same problem, and now he has a way of addressing the situation that has been successfully tested.

Second, he didn't have to do it. He was willing to work at resolving this situation because he cares about what happens in moving forward the work of the Kingdom in his part of the vineyard.

Very few areas of the Forum have someone such as him who monitors, sometimes clarifies, and even takes action to improve our lot based on posts here. This is not a part of his official job description. (And please remember that the proper way to address MLS problems is still through the Global Service Center.)

But I wanted to embarrass him a little bit and let him know how fortunate we are here at the Forum to have his participation, and to thank him for all the things he is doing behind the scenes to help make our lives in the clerking world better than they would be otherwise.

Please know that what you are doing is appreciated. Thank you very much.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”