MLS 3.7.2

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: MLS 3.7.2

Post by jdlessley »

jfackerson wrote:...Were running out of space on our 2 GB flash drives. Need to keep backups for 3 years for financial data.
Each MLS backup contains all the data required for financial data retention (3 years for U.S.). Keeping three years of MLS backup files is unnecessary. It is the paper documentation that should be retained for the applicable retention period for the country you live in. There are other threads discussing how far back MLS backup copies should be kept. I see no reason to keep more than two months of MLS backups as well as the end-of-year backup. I have found that each backup is dependent on the MLS version from which the backup was created. Backups from older versions of MLS may not be restored using the latest version of MLS depending on how many revisions ago the backup was made. Unless you keep copies of some older MLS installers you may not be able to even restore a backup that is two years old using the latest version of MLS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mudo

Post by Mudo »

I am trying to download MLS into my home computer as I was told I could do tis. It downloads fine except wen I go to open it, it just sits there. So I removed it from my computer. Any suestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mudo wrote:I am trying to download MLS into my home computer as I was told I could do tis.
You can't run "live" data on your home computer. It's against church policy. All you can do is install test data so you can learn how to use it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

drepouille wrote:I just installed MLS 3.7.2 on the stake computer. After I exited MLS, restarted it, and signed in, I clicked on Help, Release Notes, which redirected me to this URL:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/mls-re ... /?lang=por
MLS sends the browser to http://lds.org/mlsupdate/ and then a redirect gets you to the right spot. The redirect to Portuguese is coming from LDS.org. If you go directly to the MLS update URL, do you get the same behavior?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:Should units that did not receive MLS 3.7.2 today (Sunday) after multiple send/receives call the help desk, or just be patient and expect it will come down sometime in the near future?
If you don't have it by the end of the day next Sunday, I would call the help desk. It should have come down fairly quickly, but I would give a week before calling the GSC.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jfackerson wrote:Removed encryption software from 2 new SanDisk 16 GB flash drives, (on-site, off-site copies) in preparation to backup financial and membership data. (...Were running out of space on our 2 GB flash drives. Need to keep backups for 3 years for financial data.)

Added a new empty folder to both flash drives, labeled as BACKUP MINT VALLEY WARD.

Attempted to "Copy to File". Menus did not allow me to open backup folder.
It looks like you're trying to back up to the root of the flash drive (F:\) and that it is either full or not writable.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:It looks like you're trying to back up to the root of the flash drive (F:\) and that it is either full or not writable.
Some file systems have a limit on the number of files that can be placed at the root of a drive. The solution is to place the files into folders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jfackerson

Post by jfackerson »

What should have typed as menu description,
MLS ---> File ---> "Backup to File"

When I selected directory to "open", MLS crashed. Repeated crash 2 more times.
Seems to be stable now. Backups to flash drives worked OK, yesterday.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:
lajackson wrote:Should units that did not receive MLS 3.7.2 today (Sunday) after multiple send/receives call the help desk, or just be patient and expect it will come down sometime in the near future?
If you don't have it by the end of the day next Sunday, I would call the help desk. It should have come down fairly quickly, but I would give a week before calling the GSC.
I forgot to call, so this one unit has been rocking along for a month now with the old 3.7.1 software, sending and receiving four or five times a week, with nary a sign of anything new.

Church headquarters called today to let us know that the unit had not upgraded to MLS 3.7.2 and that their quarterly report would be wrong if they did not upgrade, so I went over this evening while I was doing interviews, snagged the latest from the website, and loaded it over the old version.

So much for automation.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:Church headquarters called today to let us know that the unit had not upgraded to MLS 3.7.2 and that their quarterly report would be wrong if they did not upgrade, so I went over this evening while I was doing interviews, snagged the latest from the website, and loaded it over the old version.
I looked at the logs and see something unusual with that unit. There isn't anything on your end -- it just looks like the patches weren't transferring correctly. Now I go a-digging.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”