New Financial Clerk not in authorization list

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aaronk03

New Financial Clerk not in authorization list

Post by aaronk03 »

I'm a new Financial clerk in my ward. I was created an MLS account and given the financial roles/permissions. I started doing tithing and when we get to the end to authorize (step before transmit) you have to enter your username and password for 2 users. My user is not in the list. I press the search button to see the entire list of users able to authorize and I am not on it. I waited a week to see if something had to sync, and I'm still not in the list. The Bishop made me an Admin role to see if we were missing something in the permissions but I am still not being updated to be in the authorize list. Why can I do re-reimbursements and start tithing but not "authorize". What am I missing? Help???
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Financial Clerk not in authorization list

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to verify the calling you have in MLS and make sure it's a standard position and not a custom one. I'm guessing you must be either a Financial clerk or ward clerk. Membership clerks and possibly just "assistant clerk" may not work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

The ability to authorize donation batches appears to be linked to specific callings (including any member of the Bishopric) and it has nothing to do with the permissions you've been given in MLS. So, as has already been stated, make sure your calling is listed correctly in the system.

Funny, however, that you're not able to be one of those who "authorize" a batch as long as the other is a member of the Bishopric. The last time I helped with a donation batch (about a year ago) I was an Executive Secretary (formerly a Finance Clerk) working with a member of the Bishopric. As long as he was one of those authorizing the batch then I was okay to be the second person. Is that not possible anymore? What if the ward clerk and finance clerk are out of town on the same day? Can't an Executive Secretary (with experience and training in processing donations) still be the second guy with a member of the Bishopric?
aaronk03

Post by aaronk03 »

So I quickly looked and both of the replies are correct....it appears nobody added my calling so I'm currently "calling-less". Will update as soon as I'm able. Thanks!
dfchamplain

Post by dfchamplain »

mrrad wrote:Can't an Executive Secretary (with experience and training in processing donations) still be the second guy with a member of the Bishopric?
I personally do not believe so. The Executive Secretary is not set apart with that privilege, right, or responsibility.
hchampion

Post by hchampion »

I am the Branch Clerk, and have just had a change in 1st Counselor to the BP. I am experiencing the same problem with him. I have given him all the appropriate accesses, and he can even log on to MLS, but he cannot authorize a donation. This has been going on for about 3-4 weeks. I did notice that he has not been picked up in LDS Tools, so I suspect the problem indicated for the Finance Clerk in this message applies here as well. I am posting this for the benefit of anyone else who has this problem in the future. We need to investigate why LDS.org is not picking up the calling changes from MLS.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

hchampion wrote:I have given him [1st counselor] all the appropriate accesses, and he can even log on to MLS, but he cannot authorize a donation. . . . I did notice that he has not been picked up in LDS Tools, . . . We need to investigate why LDS.org is not picking up the calling changes from MLS.
Information about the new counselor needs to be updated in two places. You have done one of them by giving him MLS financial permission. However, updating the counselor with MLS financial permissions does not update his calling information at LDS.org or in MLS.

Since you mention that LDS Tools has not picked up his calling, I suspect that his calling in MLS either has not been properly updated, or has not transferred to LDS.org.

I would begin by making sure that he is shown as the 1st Counselor in MLS in a standard calling in the bishopric organization, and that this calling information has flowed to the Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders (CDOL). Your clerk will be able to check CDOL.

Once this happens, he should be able to authorize donations.
hchampion

Post by hchampion »

I can tell you that it is not showing up in the CDOL (I AM the Clerk, although I've only been at it for a little over a year, which, I'm told, makes me still a baby).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

hchampion wrote:I can tell you that it is not showing up in the CDOL (I AM the Clerk, although I've only been at it for a little over a year, which, I'm told, makes me still a baby).
This issue can be resolved by following the procedure in Getting callings in MLS to show up in CDOL. You may also want to take a look at the portion of the article for Correcting duplicate or missing callings, which is related and corrects other calling issues in CDOL.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”