Lds.org information different from MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jozzel
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Lds.org information different from MLS

Postby jozzel » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:51 pm

I've seen several other postings where users says there is a variance between the calling detail on lds.org and MLS. The most common response is to refresh the data in MLS. I have the exact opposite need, is it possible to refresh the data on lds.org instead? The issue is that lds.org is incorrect, and very incorrect at that, while MLS is up-to-date and accurate.

For example, we called a new primary presidency two months ago. The callings were updated and show correctly in MLS. When I view the primary callings on lds.org not only do I see the new primary presidency callings, I can also see all of the old ones, as if they were never released. I double check in MLS and sure enough the old presidency was updated and the callings removed from those users correctly.

Do I still use the MLS refresh request to correct this issue? My worry is that instead of making lds.org match what is in MLS, it will override MLS to match the incorrect information on lds.org. We would then need to go calling by calling and date by date to fix everything in MLS again, and who knows if those corrections would ever make it back to lds.org or we would be back in the exact same position we are now.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20729
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Lds.org information different from MLS

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:13 pm

jozzel wrote:is it possible to refresh the data on lds.org instead?

No. At least nothing under your control. The CDOL is the "authority" on the callings. MLS just sends a "update" to the CDOL. So any refresh just sets MLS to match the CDOL.


jozzel wrote:Do I still use the MLS refresh request to correct this issue? My worry is that instead of making lds.org match what is in MLS, it will override MLS to match the incorrect information on lds.org. We would then need to go calling by calling and date by date to fix everything in MLS again, and who knows if those corrections would ever make it back to lds.org or we would be back in the exact same position we are now.

Your concern is valid, and that is exactly what will happen. But once things are back in sync the updates should work.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jozzel
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Re: Lds.org information different from MLS

Postby jozzel » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Thank you for the quick response. Do you know what causes MLS to be unable to sync back to the CDOL in the first place? If I'm going to have to go through the process to override MLS and then correct the callings, it would be best if we could prevent this from happening again in the future.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 2484
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Lds.org information different from MLS

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Often the problems occur where there are custom callings (being duplicated, for example). When MLS updated to 3.6 (or was it 3.5) there were some problems with callings as well. Have LDS.org and MLS been in sync at any point within the past year?
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20729
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Lds.org information different from MLS

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:06 pm

There were problems in the past with older versions of MLS. I won't say you'll never have a problem again, but it's less likely.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jozzel
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Re: Lds.org information different from MLS

Postby jozzel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:45 am

I have been able to view MLS and lds.org in this ward for the last 4 years now and they have never been fully in sync. Typically all new callings make it to lds.org, but the releases seem to have issues. I will print off a full callings list from MLS, perform the refresh, and get things corrected again.

How long does the refresh typically take? Is this something I could do 2nd hour of church or is this the type of thing I would come in during a weeknight to complete?

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6129
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: Lds.org information different from MLS

Postby lajackson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 am

jozzel wrote:How long does the refresh typically take?

It is not immediate, but it is quick. Check the request box and do a Send/Receive before Church. Do another Send/Receive about an hour later and you will probably see the results.

Or better yet, check the request box on Sunday after Church and send it with the deposit information. Then go in during an evening that week to receive the results. That way you get to participate in the first rate Gospel Doctrine lesson. [smile]

I am not sure if the actual request is processed on demand or in a batch process every hour. Your request during the first S/R causes a file to be generated that is set for download during your next S/R.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Re: Lds.org information different from MLS

Postby jonesrk » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:08 am

lajackson wrote:
jozzel wrote:How long does the refresh typically take?

It is not immediate, but it is quick.

I am not sure if the actual request is processed on demand or in a batch process every hour. Your request during the first S/R causes a file to be generated that is set for download during your next S/R.

CDOL checks for new requests every 30 seconds (not immediate, but quick). The other part of it is the time it takes to build the data. Also if you are running it on Sunday you may be queued up behind other requests/changes from MLS from all around the world, so there can be some delay there. In looking at the recent history it looks like you should have the CDOL refresh back in less the 5-10 minutes.

As a note, when you do the refresh request it sends a request to CDOL (for callings) and a separate request to CMIS (for membership). I don't know the timing on the membership side.
Ryan Jones
CDOL Developer
Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk
Former Ward Clerk

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2023
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Lds.org information different from MLS

Postby eblood66 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:19 am

jonesrk wrote:
lajackson wrote:
jozzel wrote:How long does the refresh typically take?

It is not immediate, but it is quick.

I am not sure if the actual request is processed on demand or in a batch process every hour. Your request during the first S/R causes a file to be generated that is set for download during your next S/R.

CDOL checks for new requests every 30 seconds (not immediate, but quick). The other part of it is the time it takes to build the data. Also if you are running it on Sunday you may be queued up behind other requests/changes from MLS from all around the world, so there can be some delay there. In looking at the recent history it looks like you should have the CDOL refresh back in less the 5-10 minutes.

As a note, when you do the refresh request it sends a request to CDOL (for callings) and a separate request to CMIS (for membership). I don't know the timing on the membership side.

I'm assuming that the CDOL response will come down as soon as it is ready even if the CMIS response isn't complete. Is that correct?

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Re: Lds.org information different from MLS

Postby jonesrk » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:20 am

eblood66 wrote:
jonesrk wrote:As a note, when you do the refresh request it sends a request to CDOL (for callings) and a separate request to CMIS (for membership). I don't know the timing on the membership side.

I'm assuming that the CDOL response will come down as soon as it is ready even if the CMIS response isn't complete. Is that correct?

Yes that is correct.
Ryan Jones

CDOL Developer

Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk

Former Ward Clerk


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest