Bar code scanner language

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
bhm014

Bar code scanner language

Post by bhm014 »

I am the stake clerk and we are having an issue with the bar code scanner. We are using the French version of Windows 7 and a French keyboard. When scanning a temple recommend we get all kind of symbols instead of numbers. I found out that I have to swap to an English keyboard layout to get the numbers properly scanned. Is there a way to set up the scanner to scan the numbers using the French keyboard layout without swapping to an English one?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Bar code scanner language

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the scanner is programmed by scanning special barcodes. I'd look for any paperwork that came with the scanner or try to access the manual on-line.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bhm014

Post by bhm014 »

I did use the set up sheet for the bar code scanner from MLS. The set up has been done correctly but the language issue remains.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is this a sheet that came from the church? In that case, it's only going to set it to "church standard". See if there's a barcode sheet for "language".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bhm014

Post by bhm014 »

I used the official set up sheet from MLS "Install and Program the Bar Code Scanner". It does not have a language sheet.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

On page 17 of the HP scanner users guide (pdf file here), there is a barcode entitled French Windows. Scan it after you have scanned all of the other setup codes.

What is happening is that the French keyboard needs caps lock to get to the numbers. Sending the normal codes give you all the lowercase letters with all of the common accents used by the language.

If that doesn't work, you might try the code on page 25 entitled Enable Simulated Caps Lock.

And if neither of those work, you might call the Global Service Center (or your Area Support Office) and ask them if there is a special scanning sheet you can use for your language/keyboard. I am sure you are not the only one using a French keyboard, and that there will be a way to do it.

For the benefit of those who no longer have their scanner setup sheets, you can get to the scan setup in RKATS here, and you can shoot the scanner right at the display to set it, if needed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:On page 17 of the HP scanner users guide (pdf file here), there is a barcode entitled French Windows. Scan it after you have scanned all of the other setup codes.
That is correct. I found the same code on page 110 in the actual documentation for the LS2208 scanner model we were issued.

I installed the French keyboard on my clerk computer, and verified that scanning the French Windows code found on that page does indeed lead to correct scanning of temple recommend bar codes.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'll have to double check, but I think our barcode reader is a Intermec. Regardless, the approach would be the same - locate the manufacturer's manual and scan the appropriate code.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It is important to scan the extra bar code setting after the others, not before. The very first code on the normal scan sheet resets the scanner to default settings.
bhm014

Post by bhm014 »

Thank you everyone. I used the French windows version bar code mentioned by lajackson and it is now working. Thanks again.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”