Individual Missionary Accounts

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
drcheney

Individual Missionary Accounts

Post by drcheney »

Is there a way to delete individual missionary accounts in MLS? We have some that have been home for nearly 2 years that are still listed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Individual Missionary Accounts

Post by russellhltn »

Have they been zeroed out? I don't think you can hide/delete them until they've been zeroed and have no transactions in the current year.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

drcheney wrote:Is there a way to delete individual missionary accounts in MLS? We have some that have been home for nearly 2 years that are still listed.
If the balance of the account is zero you may be able to set the account to inactive. But you can't delete it because of financial records retention rules. However, if the account is inactive it should be deleted automatically once the retention period is over (3 years + the current year in the US).

To inactive the account select Finance > Budget > Add/Update Categories and find the account under the Ward Missionary category. There should be a checkbox labeled 'Active' on the right. Uncheck it to inactivate the account. However, I have had a couple times when the checkbox is disabled even though the account balance is 0 and I wasn't able to inactive the account. I don't know why. It has worked in other cases.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:
drcheney wrote:Is there a way to delete individual missionary accounts in MLS? We have some that have been home for nearly 2 years that are still listed.
If the balance of the account is zero you may be able to set the account to inactive.

However, I have had a couple times when the checkbox is disabled even though the account balance is 0 and I wasn't able to inactive the account. I don't know why. It has worked in other cases.
The individual missionary accounts seem to work a bit differently. Once the missionary has returned, and we are certain that all transactions have taken place, we set the balance to zero. About two months later, the sub-account goes away.

I have not checked to see if it is set to inactive in MLS by Church headquarters or if it entirely disappears. But the key is to transfer funds in or out to make the balance zero. Then it goes away, just the way it appeared after the missionary was first called.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote: The individual missionary accounts seem to work a bit differently. Once the missionary has returned, and we are certain that all transactions have taken place, we set the balance to zero. About two months later, the sub-account goes away.

I have not checked to see if it is set to inactive in MLS by Church headquarters or if it entirely disappears. But the key is to transfer funds in or out to make the balance zero. Then it goes away, just the way it appeared after the missionary was first called.
I can't imagine it goes away completely since you would also lose all the contributions and you would not be able to print a correct donor report at the end of the year for anyone who contributed. But it's quite possible that it gets inactivated automatically nowadays.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:I can't imagine it goes away completely since you would also lose all the contributions and you would not be able to print a correct donor report at the end of the year for anyone who contributed. But it's quite possible that it gets inactivated automatically nowadays.
I checked at Church today. When they're gone they're gone.

The donations have not gone away, because they are in the records of the donor who contributed. What is gone is the subaccount in Ward Missionary, which is very similar to a subaccount in any other budgeting item, except that Church headquarters controls its coming and going in the MLS system.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”