Sorting Member Records by Language

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.

Sorting Member Records by Language

Postby sjmoody » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm relatively new to the forums, so I apologize if this has been discussed in the past and I missed it in my search.

I am in a very large and transient ward. We have some 1,200 members with 5 - 10 records moving in and out each week. But it gets really difficult to manage because it's also a very linguistically diverse ward. We have 4 Gospel Doctrine classes in different languages, and also sometimes have a need to divide Relief Society, Priesthood groups, and youth groups into language groups for reporting and other purposes.

We have used the user-defined fields to track language, but it doesn't seem to be entirely filling our needs. It works well for making custom reports to provide lists of people in language groups, but that's about it. We would love to be able to incorporate a language variable when assigning classes, printing roles, making home and visiting teaching assignments, and things of that nature. We are managing manually right now, but given the size of the ward, it's quite a cumbersome and time-consuming task. More often than not, our records are in a state of disarray which leads to inefficient visiting/reactivation efforts, and general bad record keeping.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of problem or if anyone has and hints or tips on how to better divide ward reports into language groups.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”