Retention of MLS backups

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
rl_albright

Re: Retention of MLS backups

Post by rl_albright »

Last year we had a hard drive failure as well as database failure with MLS in one of my local units. The database had been corrupted for the past 7 months and no one really knew it, they only knew that certain things displayed differently or not at all. (They figured that it was due to an update.), well then the hard drive started having problems and they called me (their STS). Our monthly backups at CHQ was actually crashing the tech's MLS computer at the helpdesk!! Well we had to go to a backup 8 months old, to get a clean database, and then slowly push information down from CHQ to get the MLS database back up to date. It was a major headache and this took about 4 days of back and forth phone calls into the helpdesk to complete.

Point of my tale, we now keep 2 copies of all backups of MLS, we create one on the hard drive and then another one that is stored on an USB thumb drive that is stored locally and the other that is rotated monthly at the ward financial clerk's home. (2 USB thumb drives, that we rotate usage on, so no matter what we have the data we need.) Yes I know this is long and hard, but after having to re-build that database basically from scratch, I don't think you can blame me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Retention of MLS backups

Post by russellhltn »

rl_albright wrote:Point of my tale, we now keep 2 copies of all backups of MLS, we create one on the hard drive and then another one that is stored on an USB thumb drive that is stored locally and the other that is rotated monthly at the ward financial clerk's home. (2 USB thumb drives, that we rotate usage on, so no matter what we have the data we need.) Yes I know this is long and hard, but after having to re-build that database basically from scratch, I don't think you can blame me.
I'm missing something. How would that solve the problem you had? If it had been corrupt for 7 months, all the backups in the world wouldn't have prevented you from having to go back 7 months and one week. You might have saved a few weeks, but it doesn't seem like it would have had a significant effect the pain level.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”