Membership Records

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jonwane

Membership Records

Post by jonwane »

We have a member who's records keep getting pulled back into a student ward every semester. How can we keep their records in our family ward?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Membership Records

Post by russellhltn »

Where are they attending during the school year? The record needs to follow their attendance.

That said, you might try a Move Restriction.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

If they are truly still in your ward a kindly email or phone call to the other ward clerk might solve the issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that this person tends to show up at the student ward. This may be a conversation that needs to take place between the two bishops and the member.

I'd suggest reviewing Handbook 1: 9.1.6 under "Membership". If the other ward is part of a singles stake, then I'd review 9.1.7 as well since it suggests that by default all singles belong to that stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eodcraig

Post by eodcraig »

Ok, I am attempting to add non-member family members (sons, daughters) to an existing member, can I do this or not? They are not living with her but she would like them on her record. Thanks for the reply.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eodcraig wrote:Ok, I am attempting to add non-member family members (sons, daughters) to an existing member, can I do this or not? They are not living with her but she would like them on her record. Thanks for the reply.
You can record them on her individual record so it appears on her IOS, but you shouldn't create a non-member record or add them to her household so that they appear in the directory.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Specifically, go to the Individual Record for the member, and then select the Children tab. Click the blue Add Child link in the upper right corner. You will then be asked if that member is the biological or adoptive parent of the child (if you answer NO, then you can't add the child). You'll then be given three options that are basically: 1) choose an existing ward member as the child, 2) create a membership record for the child, or 3) add the child to this member's record.

From what you have said, it sounds like you want option 3. If the child is a nonmember, just leave the MRN field blank. If the member you are adding the child to is married, you'll be asked at the end of the process if the spouse is a parent to the child as well; answering YES will add the child to the spouse's individual record as well.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”