How to send funds to the Church Missionary Department

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
thadlevar

How to send funds to the Church Missionary Department

Post by thadlevar »

My stake has a small amount of excess funds that I've been asked to transfer to the Church Missionary Department for general missionary.

What is the best way to accomplish that? Can I do a transfer in MLS (I don't think so). Should I cut a check and mail it to the Missionary Department, or should I cut a check back to our stake and process it as a donation to the general missionary fund?

Thanks for any help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: How to send funds to the Church Missionary Department

Post by aebrown »

thadlevar wrote:My stake has a small amount of excess funds that I've been asked to transfer to the Church Missionary Department for general missionary.

What is the best way to accomplish that? Can I do a transfer in MLS (I don't think so). Should I cut a check and mail it to the Missionary Department, or should I cut a check back to our stake and process it as a donation to the general missionary fund?
The "General Missionary Fund" is not the place to put excess "Ward Missionary" funds, so you should definitely not process a donation to the General Missionary Fund. And as you surmised, you can't do a transfer in MLS.

The proper procedure is documented in the RKATS article Missionary Finances, paragraph 2 under "Other missionary finance guidelines": "The bishop, with the stake presidency, should determine when ward missionary funds exceed reasonable ward or stake needs. Any excess should be sent to the administrative office by check or by letter indicating the amount of excess by unit."

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”