Patriarch and Bishop missing from Ordinances in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mlh78

Re: Patriarch and Bishop missing from Ordinances in MLS

Post by mlh78 »

Thanks Ryan. I really appreciate your participation on this board and all the help you provide "offline."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote:I was going to suggest searching for them in CDOL (which is what I would do), but then I tried it as you and Stake callings don't have enough rights to see historical bishop's (out of your stake).
I ran a test. Running a query on a name will give you the history of someone whose record is within the stake. I don't think it's possible to say "give me all ex-bishops".

Of course, you can also run a history of past leaders of units within your stake, but again, it's a unit-by-unit query.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote:
jonesrk wrote:I was going to suggest searching for them in CDOL (which is what I would do), but then I tried it as you and Stake callings don't have enough rights to see historical bishop's (out of your stake).
I ran a test. Running a query on a name will give you the history of someone whose record is within the stake. I don't think it's possible to say "give me all ex-bishops".

Of course, you can also run a history of past leaders of units within your stake, but again, it's a unit-by-unit query.
Right. I was more referring to looking at one person (to fill out the Bishop recommendation form). If you have enough rights it will find there historical bishop positions, but stake leaders will only see them if the were a bishop within one of the wards currently in their stake.

It wouldn't give all the ex-bishops that now live in my stake.
BarryHill

Post by BarryHill »

We are probably going far afield from technical issues but I am not convinced that it helps a lot to know who has been on the High Council or been a Bishop, or a counselor in the Stake Presidency. The Lord qualifies those whom He calls. If we operate on man's logic then those people should probably be left alone since they already did their time and deserve a break while others rise to the task. :)

I asked the original question because I just thought it would be of interest to an individual to have their OIS document the historic data of these ordinations. Since the discussion, I accept the argument that it:
Does not alter their line of authority
Requires First Presidency approval therefore cannot be altered by the ward MLS

I am however curious how a ward can run a history of past leaders or query a history on a specific name within the ward or is that a stake MLS function?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

barryhill wrote:I am however curious how a ward can run a history of past leaders or query a history on a specific name within the ward or is that a stake MLS function?
Those are functions of CDOL. The ward history is at the bottom of the ward's page although it will likely be limited to mostly the past bishops. Changes to the bishopric and ward clerk and executive secretary have only been kept for a few years. The person's history is at the bottom of their page in CDOL.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote:If you have enough rights it will find there historical bishop positions, but stake leaders will only see them if the were a bishop within one of the wards currently in their stake.
Oh, that's interesting. I can't think of any people I can test that on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Oh, that's interesting. I can't think of any people I can test that on.
I can confirm that is true. A search on an individual in our stake who held leadership positions outside our stake shows only the positions where he served within our stake.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote:
jonesrk wrote:If you have enough rights it will find there historical bishop positions, but stake leaders will only see them if the were a bishop within one of the wards currently in their stake.
Just look at the history section for a ward in your stake and then run a leader search one of the former bishop's name. They don't have to be living in your stake, just the calling has to be in your stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
Just look at the history section for a ward in your stake and then run a leader search one of the former bishop's name. They don't have to be living in your stake, just the calling has to be in your stake.
What I meant is someone who is in our stake but has been a bishop in a unit outside of our stake. I think the OP is trying to find out the calling history of some candidate leaders. So the member will be in the stake, but the calling would be outside.

Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

MLS shows the Highest Ordained Priesthood Office, for a Bishop that would be High Priest because Bishop is an office in the Aaronic Priesthood.

I do not know why Patriarch does not show I can only guess it has something to do with Patriarchs not being organized into a quorum. So therefore they are members of the HP quorum.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”