High Priest Group Members

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Hilohi

High Priest Group Members

Post by Hilohi »

I think this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find past topics about it. Anyway, in MLS, members that aren't high priest are appearing on the high priest list. Why is this happening and is there a way to fix this?

This problem appears to be a reoccurring problem. For example, I cleaned up the high priest list last Sunday, but when I went into MLS this morning, there were a few non-high priests that were on the list again. On top of that, when I went back to church this afternoon, one of the people that I had just removed this morning was back on the list.

This problem has been around for at least a couple of years, as I had the same problem when I served in the high priest group leadership in my previous ward. Also, it appears that MLS rather arbitrarily puts non-high priests on the high priest list. In fact, in my last ward, we had young men on our high priest list! Hopefully this problem can be fixed soon, as I don't think it's practical to have to clean up the high priest list every Sunday just to keep it accurate.

Just to clarify, these non-high priest that are showing up on the high priest list should not be on the high priest list. I just thought I'd clarify that because sometimes non-high priest are included with the high priest (usually due to age) even though they aren't actually ordained high priest.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: High Priest Group Members

Post by lajackson »

Prospective elders are part of the high priests group by default in MLS and according to current Church policy. If the bishop then decides to assign them to the elders quorum, you can reassign them in MLS and they will no longer appear in the high priests group list.

I suspect this is what you are seeing.
jmalyn

Post by jmalyn »

This may also be a bug. In the records I have, there are about 4 individuals that show 'High Priests' in their group memberships twice. If I reset organizations on these individuals, it resets to the two entries showing 'High Priests'. If I select 'remove' to change one to Elders, the member now shows up in both Elders and High Priests. There does not appear to be a way to remove the duplicate entry, so these individuals are stuck in both organizations.

Definitely by default, the behavior is to assign an individual to High Priests until assigned otherwise. The bug comes into play when they get two entries, and only one can be set to Elders Quorum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jmalyn wrote:This may also be a bug. In the records I have, there are about 4 individuals that show 'High Priests' in their group memberships twice.
You may want to try a backup and restore. Failing that, a unit refresh to see if it straightens itself out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
macerl

Post by macerl »

I understand that Prospective Elders are assigned to the HP Group for responsibility; however, how do I print out a list of those who actually ordained high priests?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

macerl wrote:I understand that Prospective Elders are assigned to the HP Group for responsibility; however, how do I print out a list of those who actually ordained high priests?
There are a couple of ways:
  • The easiest way is to go to the Unit Statistics (under Reports/Forms), click on the Melchizedek Priesthood Holders link, then click on the Priesthood Office header to sort by the office. That will still include all MP holders, but at least all the high priests will be listed together.
  • With a custom report, you'll do a bit more setup work, but you can get exactly what you want. For the criteria, select "Priesthood Office -- is -- High Priest", then for the format, select whatever fields of information you want. Save the report, and then you can use it whenever you want to see the list of current high priests, regardless of the quorum organization they are assigned to.
norgaards

Post by norgaards »

We experience the same problem - persons who haven't receive any priesthood (unordained) show up in the high priest member group.

John

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”