Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ulupoi
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:21 am
Location: California, USA

Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Postby ulupoi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:23 am

Hello, All.

Any problem with running MLS from within a Windows 7, Standard User (non-administrator) account?

User avatar
Biggles
Senior Member
Posts: 916
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 am
Location: Watford, England

Re: Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Postby Biggles » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:02 am

ulupoi wrote:Hello, All.

Any problem with running MLS from within a Windows 7, Standard User (non-administrator) account?


Yes! It has to be run from an administrator account. No problem with using Windows 7 though. I also think the account has to be labelled Clerk.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20734
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Postby russellhltn » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:17 am

ulupoi wrote:Any problem with running MLS from within a Windows 7, Standard User (non-administrator) account?


Not advisable. As much as we'd like it to be a user account, we've been instructed via the computer setup instructions that it has to be an admin account. It does need to be able to do updates when they are sent down via send/receive.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

ulupoi
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:21 am
Location: California, USA

Re: Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Postby ulupoi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 pm

I have MLS set up on all our computers (Windows 7) on the main Clerk (administrator) account. But we are now considering setting up a Standard User (non-admin) account for missionaries and others to use. I'm just wondering what will happen if someone, intentionally or not, uses MLS from within the Standard User Account.

In testing a Standard User Account, I was able to open MLS and see all our information, and an address change I made there was still there when I later opened MLS from the Clerk account. I haven't tried a send/receive from within the Standard User Account.

Anyone have experience recording and sending donation and expense information from within the Standard User Account?

I can tell the bishoprics to always use the Clerk account for MLS, but if it is possible for them to use the wrong account, eventually, they will. I just want to know if there are any negative consequences.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20734
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Postby russellhltn » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:56 pm

ulupoi wrote:
ulupoi wrote:I can tell the bishoprics to always use the Clerk account for MLS, but if it is possible for them to use the wrong account, eventually, they will. I just want to know if there are any negative consequences.

Regardless of if it works or other people's experiences, you get to be the Ginny pig as I don't think that supported.

Personally, I'd remove the shortcuts for MLS for that user. That probably means you have to delete them and then recreate them in just the clerk account. That should limit the possibility of starting MLS from the wrong account.

If it was me, I'd probably set security such that the missionary login is denied access to the MLS executable.

I'm waiting to see what "the letter" says about missionary access and what they need to use. I know how to lock down a machine. (C drive? What C drive?)
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

ulupoi
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:21 am
Location: California, USA

Re: Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Postby ulupoi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:05 pm

"I'm waiting to see what "the letter" says about missionary access and what they need to use."

Is there a letter coming with instructions? When is it expected? I'd hate to implement something on all our machines only to have to re-do it a short time later.

ulupoi
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:21 am
Location: California, USA

Re: Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Postby ulupoi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:27 pm

russellhltn wrote:If it was me, I'd probably set security such that the missionary login is denied access to the MLS executable.


I'm just worried that we'll be instructed to give the missionaries access to MLS. Otherwise, that's a good idea. I can block access to MLS for now.

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2025
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Postby eblood66 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:35 pm

ulupoi wrote:
russellhltn wrote:If it was me, I'd probably set security such that the missionary login is denied access to the MLS executable.


I'm just worried that we'll be instructed to give the missionaries access to MLS. Otherwise, that's a good idea. I can block access to MLS for now.

I wouldn't think we'd be told to give them access. It would provide them more information than they need. They can already access basic member directory information from lds.org which should be sufficient for their needs.

User avatar
Biggles
Senior Member
Posts: 916
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 am
Location: Watford, England

Re: Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Postby Biggles » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:53 pm

eblood66 wrote:I wouldn't think we'd be told to give them access. It would provide them more information than they need. They can already access basic member directory information from lds.org which should be sufficient for their needs.


I'm fairly certain that the missionaries will not see any Directory information, other than their own wards. It would need them to be set up as an Out-of-Unit Members, which wouldn't be practical

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20734
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Postby russellhltn » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Biggles wrote:I'm fairly certain that the missionaries will not see any Directory information, other than their own wards. It would need them to be set up as an Out-of-Unit Members, which wouldn't be practical


Nope. See Directory 2.5. Once the mission assigns them, they can see the directory.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest