MLS 2.9 is Released

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

MLS 2.9 is Released

Post by aebrown »

I was just looking at mls.lds.org and noticed that (as promised), MLS 2.9 is no longer in beta. The full release is available there for download, and I assume the incremental update to MLS 2.9 will be sent to administrative computers starting now on the next MLS Send/Receive.
crislapi

Automatic upgrade after 8/29

Post by crislapi »

Alan_Brown wrote:I assume the incremental update to MLS 2.9 will be sent to administrative computers starting now on the next MLS Send/Receive.
I received a message last Sunday saying it would be queued for download automatically on 8/29,
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

crislapi wrote:I received a message last Sunday saying it would be queued for download automatically on 8/29,
Well, that's not exactly possible on a dial-up modem...and for those running on broadband internet already, MLS would have to have some sort of service to wake up and run every once in a while to see if it's download time. I'm about 99.9% positive that is not a current feature of MLS (the .1% is because I'm not a Church developer nor employee). I think the "queue up" just means that on your next Send/Recieve starting now, you will begin downloading the software.

For those of you who don't already have one of the beta versions of MLS 2.9, be warned it will take like 30 mins on a dial-up connection. And then you have to "immediately shut down MLS and restart the computer"...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mkmurray wrote:For those of you who don't already have one of the beta versions of MLS 2.9, be warned it will take like 30 mins on a dial-up connection. And then you have to "immediately shut down MLS and restart the computer"...
No shutdown required if you install it from a flash drive. Also, I assume, as in the past, that 2.9 will not try to download on Sunday during financial deposit time. At least for a few weeks. If you have a beta version, you will get the patch, but if you are still running 2.8, I do not think the servers at CHQ will let you have it, at least this Sunday and probably next Sunday.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

crislapi wrote:I received a message last Sunday saying it would be queued for download automatically on 8/29,
The message I received said the download would be available the weekend of 8/29 but did not specify 8/29 as the exact date.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Stating the obvious

Post by crislapi »

mkmurray wrote:I think the "queue up" just means that on your next Send/Recieve starting now, you will begin downloading the software.
In case anyone else was confused, yes it will be downloaded the next time you send/receive. As ALWAYS, And most likely it will not be downloaded during peak transmission times on Sunday. Again, as always.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jdlessley wrote:The message I received said the download would be available the weekend of 8/29 but did not specify 8/29 as the exact date.
With the beta releases, the first day of availability on both mls.lds.org and for download through Send/Receive was consistently on Friday without fail; most likely the Church started the updating today to help lighten the load for Sunday...unless of course, they don't do it on Sunday as mentioned by lajackson as a possiblity. However with the betas over the last few weeks, we downloaded them on Sunday every time, although it was Sunday early AM every time.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

crislapi wrote:In case anyone else was confused, yes it will be downloaded the next time you send/receive. As ALWAYS, And most likely it will not be downloaded during peak transmission times on Sunday. Again, as always.
Sorry, I'm still relatively new to the clerk calling :rolleyes:; this is the first major update process I have been through (maybe the first period).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mkmurray wrote:However with the betas over the last few weeks, we downloaded them on Sunday every time, although it was Sunday early AM every time.
If you already have a beta version of 2.9 you will usually get the update/patch, even on Sundays. I think the only thing they restrict for the first Sunday or two is the big jump all the way from 2.8 to 2.9.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”