Non Member Spouses

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:I have never heard of such a bug; every problem like this with households I have been able to track down to user error and once it is fixed, it stays fixed. But if you read this entire thread, you can see that we have been through all the possibilities with user error, and znauga still says that the problem happens spontaneously at some point after proper procedures have been followed. Furthermore, he claims that Clerk Support has acknowledged that this "bug" exists.
As recently as 2.8.3 there was still a bug in the way MLS handles households. I do not understand the technical details, but as recently as a month ago I was on the phone with the help desk trying to sort out a problem. We figured out a workaround, but the problem has not been solved. It has been discussed in detail in other threads and becomes most apparent in the HT/VT assignment and GEOCODE areas of the program.

It seems to have something to do with the fact that certain changes in individual records do not always flow to household records, and that it appears that the HT/VT screens use two different household files to do their work. I don't think there are actually two different HH files, but it sure acts as if there are.

The fix this last go around included work on the individual ward computers, work on the stake computer, and a proper sequence of membership data updates and transfers between the wards, CHQ, and the stake.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:As recently as 2.8.3 there was still a bug in the way MLS handles households. I do not understand the technical details, but as recently as a month ago I was on the phone with the help desk trying to sort out a problem. We figured out a workaround, but the problem has not been solved. It has been discussed in detail in other threads and becomes most apparent in the HT/VT assignment and GEOCODE areas of the program.

It seems to have something to do with the fact that certain changes in individual records do not always flow to household records, and that it appears that the HT/VT screens use two different household files to do their work. I don't think there are actually two different HH files, but it sure acts as if there are.
Hmm. You say this has been "discussed in detail in other threads" but I can't find any such threads that would relate to what is being discussed in this thread. What you describe in your second paragraph doesn't sound at all like the subject of this thread, namely families with nonmember husbands where the member wife is listed in the household as "Other," not "Spouse."

Could you provide links to the threads you are referring to so that we can see if they are really related and shed light on the current subject, or not? Or are you simply saying that MLS may have other problems related to households, but you make no claim that those problems are related to the current thread?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just to bring this back to the top:

Me: So what you're saying is that you can set it up correctly but at some point it corrupts itself? [The spouse becomes "other"] OK, that's a new one on me.

znauga: You are understanding my experience correctly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Or are you simply saying that MLS may have other problems related to households, but you make no claim that those problems are related to the current thread?
Yes. I thought that was what I said. In reference to the comment concerning households several posts ago, I was pointing out that MLS does have other problems related to households.

I do not know how to link. One of the discussion threads was called "Household Being Home Taught". The "'Name Unknown' Households" thread also has some information.

It is interesting to note in those threads that it is often the sister who is orphaned.

I believe the problem in those threads and this thread are related, although I have no way to actually know that. MLS seems to have trouble figuring out what to do when the male is not the head of household.
znauga

Post by znauga »

RussellHltn wrote:znauga, I'm trying to think of what could be the trigger for the corruption.

Any possibility that the corruption is happening when the member's marriage is acknowledged by SLC? Are you recording the marriage and creating the non-member at the same time or are you just creating the non-member record on a "old" marriage (update sent and received back)?
I was creating the non-member record on a "old" marriage already recorded on the member spouse's record. Everything worked as expected. As earlier indicated printouts of ward lists would appear correctly. Than apparently and with out any cause I could identify, The husbands appeared as head of household and the wife would appear in the family group in he position of a child or other. When this happened it would happen to all non member husband families simultaneously.

It is surprising that no one else has experienced this problem. A reasonable conclusion is that it is a problem of my own creation. If I created it, I do not know how. I am not a programmer and have no knowledge of PC programs other than MLS. If I had created the error in the program would subsequent revisions of MLS have eliminated the problem?

Again, thanks for your ideas and suggestions. Thus far it appears there is no answer to my problem other than to delete the non member spouse and recreate the non-member record based on marriage information on the member spouses record.

znauga
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

znauga wrote:When this happened it would happen to all non member husband families simultaneously.
That sounds like a "unit refresh" issue. That's about the only thing I can think of that would affect everyone at once.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”