Asst Ward Clerk not having rights to Finance

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kndllbrown

Asst Ward Clerk not having rights to Finance

Post by kndllbrown »

Last week the assistant ward clerk in our ward did our finances with one of the bishopbric. When it came time to sign on the computer as being one of the preparers he wasn't listed as someone who could sign for it. When I reviewed his rights in the MLS, he has Admin Rights and his checked for finance. Is there another place that needs to be setup for him to be able to sign as a preparer of the finance?
Biggles

Re: Asst Ward Clerk not having rights to Finance

Post by Biggles »

As an assistant ward clerk he needs to be listed as an assistant ward clerk - finances, to be able to authorise the batches. This happened in our ward a few months back, to our assistant ward - clerk membership, who had been doing this regularly, especially when I as the ward clerk was away.

This change happened after a MLS update, where I think the permissions were tightened up. It may not be the absolutely correct procedure, but we entered him, with the Bishops approval, as an assistant ward clerk - finances. I haven't been able ascertain whether just being called as an assistant ward clerk, has the same problems though!
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Unless something has changed in MLS 3.6, which I have not yet used to process donations because I was out of town last weekend, this does not comport with my experience. I am called as a Ward Assistant Clerk, and I also have Admin and Finance rights within MLS. I routinely process donation batches almost every Sunday. I also have cut several checks since MLS 3.6 was installed.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

RossEvans wrote:Unless something has changed in MLS 3.6, which I have not yet used to process donations because I was out of town last weekend, this does not comport with my experience. I am called as a Ward Assistant Clerk, and I also have Admin and Finance rights within MLS. I routinely process donation batches almost every Sunday. I also have cut several checks since MLS 3.6 was installed.
That was the reason I mentioned that I hadn't had been able to determine whether this situation also affected the assistant ward clerk. I'm thinking you have just clarified that!

I vaguely recall that the assistant ward clerk calling was able to authorise batches, but I don't have first hand knowledge, if that was the case! As it wasn't made clear by OP, it might be the situation that this particular clerk hadn't been called upon recently to do any authorisation, hence the problem reported.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Am I the only one bothered by assistants having Admin rights? Typically, I'd think it would only be the bishop and ward clerk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:Am I the only one bothered by assistants having Admin rights? Typically, I'd think it would only be the bishop and ward clerk.
In a ward with a large amount of potential members who could be called as clerks, this I'm sure wouldn't present a problem. In a relatively small ward, we don't have the luxury of calling assistant clerks for each available position, so the ones called have to multitask. At the end of the day, this is the Bishops call, with the SP approval!

But aren't we digressing from the OP problem!
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RossEvans wrote:Unless something has changed in MLS 3.6, which I have not yet used to process donations because I was out of town last weekend, this does not comport with my experience. I am called as a Ward Assistant Clerk, and I also have Admin and Finance rights within MLS. I routinely process donation batches almost every Sunday. I also have cut several checks since MLS 3.6 was installed.
On the Clerk side of MLS only Ward Clerk, Assistant Ward Clerk, and Assistant Ward Clerk - Finance will work when authenticating a Donation batch, Assistant Ward Clerk - Membership will not work. To fix the problem for membership clerks who also fill in when needed to process donations you will need to make sure they are also flagged as an "Assistant Ward Clerk" in MLS callings also. Admin and Finance rights in MLS won't do do it.

The same holds true if you want the Finance Clerks to be able to use Clerk Resources.
Last edited by Gary_Miller on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:Am I the only one bothered by assistants having Admin rights? Typically, I'd think it would only be the bishop and ward clerk.
Not at all as an "Assistant ward clerk - Finance" I have administration rights, this is due to my knowledge of MLS data base is far more superior than the ward clerks so he lets me manage the data base. I control all user rights and all administration responsibilities. The "Ward Clerk" and "Bishop" also has the rights but I have have been delegated the responsibility of management.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's fine - with permission. But we were batting 2 for 2.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Biggles wrote:
In a ward with a large amount of potential members who could be called as clerks, this I'm sure wouldn't present a problem. In a relatively small ward, we don't have the luxury of calling assistant clerks for each available position, so the ones called have to multitask. At the end of the day, this is the Bishops call, with the SP approval!
You don't need Administrator rights in order to multitask the different areas, Membership/Finances, with in MLS.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”