MLS 2.9 Installation Problems

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just as a wild guess, in the past when MLS has been upgraded some versions would immediately request a "membership refresh" and would behave oddly until that refresh came back. I think it had to do with a internal change to the database structure and it needed the refresh to straighten everything out. Since this is a new report that may contain additional information, perhaps that's what's going on.

Hopefully you've already done one send/receive. Have you done another since then?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Just as a wild guess, in the past when MLS has been upgraded some versions would immediately request a "membership refresh" and would behave oddly until that refresh came back. I think it had to do with a internal change to the database structure and it needed the refresh to straighten everything out. Since this is a new report that may contain additional information, perhaps that's what's going on.

Hopefully you've already done one send/receive. Have you done another since then?
Yes, this is also the case with MLS version 2.9; a Unit Refresh is required on update.

I had the Bishop login and see if he could access this report tonight, and he was able to bring up the report without any errors. I should also mention that he was also thrilled with the resultant report. Thank you, Church Headquarters.

RussellHltn may be right about the Unit Refresh causing the problem, as we have already down at least 2 or 3 Send/Recieves after MLS updated itself. I remember seeing in the Transaction Reports notes about the Refreshes happening.
pete_arnett-p40

Bishop received an 'Error' in MLS 2.9 Confidential Member

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

http://tech.lds.org/forum/member.php?u=219 mkmurray - thanks for doing the test

Russell - thanks for the suggestion about doing a Unit Refresh

Note: we upgraded on Sat a.m., 09Aug2008, and have done several send/receive and check fo r software updates
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
SmithGW

Installation problems

Post by SmithGW »

For the Confidential Member Report to come up, the bishop must be officially entered in the Organizations section of the MLS software under "Bishopric." Then, if his username and password are tied to his member name, the program will check to make sure he really is the bishop as entered in the Organizations section. If you have not entered his name in the calling (position) of bishop or have not tied his username to his member name in System Options - Users, then he will not be able to access the Confidential Member Report. Check these things. Then if it still doesn't work, contact local unit support.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

smithgw wrote:For the Confidential Member Report to come up, the bishop must be officially entered in the Organizations section of the MLS software under "Bishopric."
A couple of questions - first, doesn't this mean that anyone with "organization" rights (the lowest level MLS right) can place himself in as Bishop and see the report? (Or does the filter for Bishop disqualify most of the membership?)

Second, I'm guessing that one has to use the built-in "Bishop" calling and not a custom position of a similar name. (Does the name become "President" for Branches? If not, then I could see why someone would make a custom position.)
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:A couple of questions - first, doesn't this mean that anyone with "organization" rights (the lowest level MLS right) can place himself in as Bishop and see the report? (Or does the filter for Bishop disqualify most of the membership?)

Second, I'm guessing that one has to use the built-in "Bishop" calling and not a custom position of a similar name. (Does the name become "President" for Branches? If not, then I could see why someone would make a custom position.)
The text in MLS explaining the purpose of this report says that only Bishops, Stake Presidents, and Branch Presidents (and I think there was one more...probaby Area Presidents) can see this report. I think that would mean it checks for any of those four built-in positions in MLS.

Also, are you saying that anyone can put themself in the Bishop position?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:The text in MLS explaining the purpose of this report says that only Bishops, Stake Presidents, and Branch Presidents (and I think there was one more...probaby Area Presidents) can see this report. I think that would mean it checks for any of those four built-in positions in MLS.

Also, are you saying that anyone can put themself in the Bishop position?

Yes, it's true that anyone with Organization permissions (which is anyone who can login to MLS) can change any position, which includes specifying who is the bishop.

However, the Confidential Member Information report requires not only that the person logged in be a Bishop or Branch President or Stake President, but also that the logged in user has at least Edit Membership permissions. Hopefully that's a small set of people. So the Elders Quorum secretary may be able to make himself a bishop, but he would not have Edit Membership permissions, and so he still would be locked out from the Confidential Member Information report.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:However, the Confidential Member Information report requires not only that the person logged in be a Bishop or Branch President or Stake President, but also that the logged in user has at least Edit Membership permissions.
So, the membership clerk CAN run the report for the Bishop? ;)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:So, the membership clerk CAN run the report for the Bishop? ;)
Just don't forget to put the bishop back when you are done with him. [grin]
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

RussellHltn wrote:So, the membership clerk CAN run the report for the Bishop? ;)
This is what I and several other clerks I know are going to have to do. I know that my Stake President won't even touch the computer and several Bishops will only do so with much prodding and complaining.

There is no real reason that the Ward or Stake Clerk should not be able to access this report since they are already privy to any information that would result in a confidential notation on a membership record. Remember that according to CHI and the Report of Disciplinary Action forms, the Ward or Stake Clerk is required to take minutes of any Disciplinary Council and is responsible for completing and signing the report.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”